• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harmonic balancer seal 4.0 ohv

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing the timing cover gasket and I'm stumped. How do I put it in and make sure it's seated correctly? I'm reading about a tool from ford but I need to finish it today. Any tips/tricks? The old one doesn't leak.. Should I just not touch it and reinstall the harmonic balancer??

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well replaced the seal since i had to replace the harmonic balancer. Now the motor leaks oil like crazy. The seal was very loose to get into the timing cover. Now what?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not being condescending...

I assume you're fairly new to the 'gently installing seals' game...

I've been wrong before...

That being said...you can't just hammer them home...requires patience, love, and a block of wood. And patience...

You probably cracked the front cover, or in the case of olden days SBC and SBF's, distorted the holy jeebus out of it...

Make sure you didn't over-tighten the flange bolts...that'll do it too...

Might need a 'sleeve and seal kit' otherwise...

Best of luck! :)

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Not being condescending...

I assume you're fairly new to the 'gently installing seals' game...

I've been wrong before...

That being said...you can't just hammer them home...requires patience, love, and a block of wood. And patience...

You probably cracked the front cover, or in the case of olden days SBC and SBF's, distorted the holy jeebus out of it...

Make sure you didn't over-tighten the flange bolts...that'll do it too...

Might need a 'sleeve and seal kit' otherwise...

Best of luck! :)
I've only replaced one other seal before but I get the general idea.. When I mean it was loose I mean I put oil around it and was able to push it in the hole with my fingers.. I used a 38mm socket to tap it in square but it moved around in that cover like it was too small by just a little.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Best guess is they gave you the wrong seal. You sure as heck can't push a seal in with your fingers.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Best guess is they gave you the wrong seal. You sure as heck can't push a seal in with your fingers.
A likely scenario...might have been in the wrong slot in the shelf/bin, and counter guy didn't verify the part number.

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A likely scenario...might have been in the wrong slot in the shelf/bin, and counter guy didn't verify the part number.
I verified today that it's the correct seal.. What do I do now? I guess try another? I can't warranty it cause they say it was improper installation.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take the timing cover down there with you! Make sure to get the proper seal. Meanwhile show them how easy it is to place the first one in the hole.
Big Jim

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Take the timing cover down there with you! Make sure to get the proper seal. Meanwhile show them how easy it is to place the first one in the hole.
Big Jim
Yep.

Something's off...

Is their listing wrong and the gave you an SOHC seal?

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'm definitely not taking the cover back off. I'll check out napa.. Some of those threads mentioned part numbers that fit better.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You could always check out your family friendly Ford dealer. I'm pretty sure they can look up the right part number so you can fix it right the first time.

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You could always check out your family friendly Ford dealer. I'm pretty sure they can look up the right part number so you can fix it right the first time.
The first seal I tried was from the local ford dealer. The second was national brand.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I verified today that it's the correct seal.. What do I do now? I guess try another? I can't warranty it cause they say it was improper installation.
It sure as hell wasn't the correct seal if it does not fit!!! It had one in it that fit before you took it out. You need one like the old one.:popcorn:

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
It sure as hell wasn't the correct seal if it does not fit!!! It had one in it that fit before you took it out. You need one like the old one.:popcorn:
Lol definitely not. The old one crumbled when I had the cover out so I have no clue the interference fit it had. I have 3 different deals from the ford dealer.. Paid for one. He said to bring back the ones that don't fit. I'll try in a day or so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals