• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

problems with 1998 ranger motor swap

n02jfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I need help with a problem. I bought a 1998 2wd ranger xlt with an auto trans It had a blown 3.0 motor locked up so I had to pull the torque converter with the motor My problem comes when I try to bolt up the new motor. the torque converter won't set in far enough and bends the flex plate I have messed with this for hours and the torque converter seems to bottom out on the trans input shaft (marked it with spray litheim lube ) the setback measures 1.25 in+- and should be 1.6 - 1.75 in so.... any thoughts on what my problem is. I have not run the truck at all so no history available might thier be another problem with the trans? the input shaft seems fine maybe the converter is messed up? I am at a loss as to what to do any help would be great' thanks

Last edited:

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I beleive that all torque converters have a 2 step shaft design, so you will need to pull tranny out & play with the TC until it sits further back in the trannys bell housing then reinstall tranny.

Move the TC up/down & side-side will also pushing towards the tranny

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, the converter needs to go in first. It has to be fully seated onto the trans input shaft (3 clicks) and then it gets drawn out to it's proper final position when the converter nuts are tightened down.

Also, if you pulled the engine out with the converter bolted on but didn't take the trans out first there is a good chance you damaged the converter.

n02jfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks yes I have played with the tc extensivly (hours) left right up down just will not go in further it has 2 distinct "stages" but still is not where it should be

n02jfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this seems the most likely so far. I can only make 2 clicks or stages on to the input shaft. What bothers me is I sprayed some white grease on the input shaft and it seems to bottom out in the tc although withtrans fluid and turning the tc it may not be conclusive. I would have left the tc in the bell if possible, avoiding this and did put it back before trying to install motor

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Get the converter in to where you think it is all the farther it will go. Then lay a straight edge across the face of the bell housing and measure the distance from the face of the bell to the face of the little platform around one of the converter studs. Then measure from the back of the flex plate to the block. If the converter is fully seated on to the pump/input shaft those two numbers should be the same, give or take a few mm.

n02jfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok I have worked the tc up down side to side for hours only got two stages onto input shaft. I did put it back on input shaft before trying to install motor. I would have preferd to leave tc in the bell but couldn't seems damage to tc most likely

n02jfb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
been there done that went to junk yard also and measured at on the shelf I need about 3/8 in more setback and a new flexplate looks like a tc too! any thoughts on tc new/used,oem or after market thanks a ton

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals