• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

General motor build help!!

2.3tdangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turrrrrbo
Transmission
Manual
So I am building a turbo 88 ranger and thought i had quite the idea on the route i was going but now am having second thoughts. For starters I have 2 motor choices and not sure on that.
looking for 350-400 drivable HP
1. I have a virgin turbo coupe block that is drilled for DIS, the guy i bought it from ran it on 18psi for a couple months until he disassembled due to leaky valves. For that i would just hone the block and i also have an early d port 4 plug head that i am getting reworked. My only problem is the pistons have quite a bit of metal taken off of them due to detonation maybe?? That is what worries me about using that motor.
Route 2: Fully machined block .020 over, needs to be drilled for DIS (easy because the guy who had it made a jig that goes on the crank and lines up all of the holes) But the down fall is i would have to buy pistons, and at that point i might as well buy rods. So i was going for JE forged pistons .020 over and esslinger forged rods. So for this motor i would go all out basically. Already have a fresh turned,machined, balanced crank and all bearings.
So my questions are,
With motor number 2 does any one have any cam suggestions I was thinking either esslinger 2277 or possibly bo-part.
And then with the cam upgrade, should i be worried about the computer?
I could probably afford the PIMP system.
Along with the computer, I am unsure of injectors i should be looking at?
Then is the stock turbo coupe T3 turbo going to fulfill that HP range reasonably?
Im not sure if that 350-400 is unreasonable for street driving quite a bit or not?
Any Advice is appreciated!!
Thanks
Patrick

Superberry111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I have researched and been told as I am a newbie but honestly I would get a custom ground to ur personal specifications so it performs to the needs of ur type of driving ... For 350-400 hp u need a lot of porting and bigger valves and the t3 isnt ideal much over 300 most go with a bigger turbo .. Others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals