• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986-87 engine harness differences

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
anybody have a wiring diagram for an 1986 harness so I can compare it with a 1987 harness? I dug up an 86' harness I wanna use with an 87' computer and sensors injectors etc. but wanna know If I gotta add any wires

I've got the block ready for re-assembly, bottom end is pretty good, but not perfect, but it should run longer than my frame will with all this michigan salt :icon_welder:

thanks guys

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
From what I can observer, not different enough to matter. Been using an 1987 manual ECU in my 1986 2.9 manual for years. Have not tried for more than a few miles but the autotrans ECU also work but will generate a ?something ?torque ?converter error.

Citing Bently Probst book;

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
From what I can observer, not different enough to matter. Been using an 1987 manual ECU in my 1986 2.9 manual for years. Have not tried for more than a few miles but the autotrans ECU also work but will generate a ?something ?torque ?converter error.

Citing Bently Probst book;
Um, given the area this was posted I'll be he is doing a 2.3T swap. IIRC there were differences in the 86 to 87 harnesses, but I don't know what they may have been.

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I suppose the pin wiring check begins lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The turbo 2.3L T bird's had the same harness pinout from '84 through '86, then changed for '87 to '88 (that's what I'm assuming you are talking about...), the Ranger's had the same basic wiring for the 2.3L's from '85 through '88, and not very different even through '92 other than losing the distributor in '89, and in mid '90 lost the MAP sensor and gained a MAF sensor

It's not too hard to find the harness pinouts for those 3 harnesses to compare against, I think there's an '91 Ranger harness and a big VAM 2.3T harness in the tech library here, maybe even a small VAM harness...

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The turbo 2.3L T bird's had the same harness pinout from '84 through '86, then changed for '87 to '88 (that's what I'm assuming you are talking about...), the Ranger's had the same basic wiring for the 2.3L's from '85 through '88, and not very different even through '92 other than losing the distributor in '89, and in mid '90 lost the MAP sensor and gained a MAF sensor

It's not too hard to find the harness pinouts for those 3 harnesses to compare against, I think there's an '91 Ranger harness and a big VAM 2.3T harness in the tech library here, maybe even a small VAM harness...
ill take a look, thanks. it looks like all the plugs are there but I bet I have to move some pins. I've got an 86' Turbo coupe harness and an 87 motor.

Update: I just looked, the only complete pin diagram for the EEC on here is a 1987-88 one

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The small VAM diagram isn't too hard to find with google, but yes it's just a handful of wires moved at the ECM end for an '86 harness to work with an '87 ECM, the only real sensor change is the VAM, and the addition of a air temp sensor on the '87 which you'll want to find if you are using an '87 ECM as that's one of the improvements.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals