• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3t long haul trailering

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
For y'all who helped me out with my swap; thanks again. All of the kinks are finally worked out now. The truck runs great and is a blast! What are your thoughts on towing with a 1990, 5 speed turboranger? I saw the old towing thread on this forum, but my situation is a little different. I want to take it from east TN to southern OR this summer. Here's my load plan. Wife, 90lb dog, gear/clothes/supplies in truck with aluminum camper cap (Apx. 1000 pounds) towing a lightweight, 4'x8' utility trailer with my Harley on it. (Apx. 1300 pounds combined) I'll take the southern route (Rt.40W) to avoid all that high desert mountain climbing, and of course, avoid constant boost conditions. Running stock 2.3t/LA3/IHI turbo, no intercooler, stainless header, 2.25" pipe no cat, thrush turbo muffler and stock tranny/rear end. Piece of cake, right? My only concern is the small, stock radiator. It's brand new though.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the stock turbo block with forged internals, you'll be fine, even under long and high boost conditions. I will highly suggest when you stop for fuel and breaks that you let the engine idle for at least one minute (longer for recent high boost levels) before you shut the engine off. This is to cool the turbo and not cook the oil in the turbo...

SVT

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Great, that really makes a lot of sense to cool the turbo like that. The load I'm hauling wouldn't be too over the top for a stock 2.3 Ranger, but I remember Ford recommending I tow absolutely nothing with my 88' Turbo Coupe. No real explanation, just a "don't do it". Thanks.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its not the load that will cause high boost levels (at cruising speeds you should be at little to no boost), its the hill climbs that will have the high boost levels...

SVT

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Two years ago (literally, within a week...) I towed an enclosed trailer with my 3 wheeler in it and a bunch of camping gear from Salem to Christmas Valley Oregon and back (and wheeled the Ranger in between) with my turbo Ranger that was much more than what you're talking about considering the tires and such I have and it handled it just fine. I tried to cruise without boost to like 2psi as it helps with the blow by, just pushed it harder occasionally for the mountain passes and stuff. If I remember right on the way home was around 7300lb with the Ranger and trailer, so probably closer to 8000lb on the way there. I got 12mpg on that trip

I say go for it, there isn't much of a weak link in your plan since you know more about it than the average Joe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals