• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAC-EGR-PVC-ECT -Vaccuum OH MY???

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
94 Ranger V6 3.0 Automatic
Just purchased about a month ago - 135k miles
Smells like gas when I start it. Runs rich as hell and blows fluid out the tailpipe.

High Idle and bogs/stalls if I press the gas just a little, like one would do when pulling away from a stoplight. I can floor it and it will survive the bog and I can continue on down the highway. I also have to FLOOR the gas to get the thing started.

Foudn a broken Vaccuum line coming to the front of the truck from the pcv, got that replaced, then replaced the pcv as well since it was barely staying in the vavle cover anyway. replaced a couple dryrotted/cracks vaccuum lines, used carb cleaner (on cold engine) and non-flammable brake cleaner spraying around looking for more vaccuum leaks - I dont find any, but I am not a pro.

Codes thrown pointed to the EGR and Coolant Temp Sensor out of range. I pulled the EGR and cleaned it, then went ahead and bought a new one later anyway. Was really gunked up with carbon, and I cleaned air intake side of it as well.

This led me to using SeaFoam treatment on the air intake, gas, and oil. 1/3rd down the air intake via a vacuum line, 1/3 bottle into the gas tank, and 1/2 bottle into the oil. I did get a lot of white smoke from the exhaust while doing the air intake, as expected.

Replaced Fuel Filter - forgot to relieve the fuel pressure and got a bath - [facepalm]

Sprayed the MAF sensor with cleaner, but it looks pretty good.

Pulled and cleaned the IAC - Engine running, I pulled the IAC connector and idle drops - engine off - i tested Ohms on the IAC with a multimeter and got a reading of 10.7 (read it suppose to be 6-10 ohms) - can anyone verify this and do I need to replace it with new?

Replaced the single wire Coolant Temp Sensor in the front of the engine coolant intake. they gave me wrong ECT sensor for the top which i swapped at lunch today and will replace that tonight when I get home from work.

Symptoms still remain.

If the 2 wire ECT sensor fails to resolve the issue, where do I go next? replace the IAC? Fuel Regulator?

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
By the way - I had no clue at all how to do any of that above until lurking adn reading this site... Thank you to all the contributors of tips and how-to's. /Salute.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You may have one or more leaky fuel injectors. Have you looked at the spark plugs? Sometimes the color and condition of the plugs can provide some clues.

Also, try holding the gas pedal all the way down and trying to start the engine. Doing so should activate the "clear flood" routine, which disables fuel injection. If the engine starts and runs while you're holding the pedal down, it means you're getting fuel into the engine that's not supposed to be there.

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
standard start-up procedure for this truck is activating the "CLEAR FLOOD". I was hoping that would clear up once i got this fast idle taken care of. I have to do that everytime I start it.

I will see if I can get at the plugs tonight to check them out.

MrDonivan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 2nd ECT sensor seems to have done the trick. wish I would have done those 2 sensors first. oh well, learned a lot about the truck for the future thanks to "TheRangerStation.com".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals