• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trani issue

xracer18

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 96 ford ranger xlt 4.0 v6. auto. i had my transmission overhauled about 2 years ago. (barely 20,000 miles ago) and it has been great, until the other night i went off-roading with some friends. it was a very bumpy rocky road we were on and 4wheel drive was necessary. everything worked great. the next morning i went to pull out of my drive way and i had NO power. engine would rev to about 2500 rpms and i would barely move. felt like i was in 3rd gear starting out. i drove around for a minute and my OD light was blinking. i took it home immediately and hooked up my code reader to it. im getting 2 codes p0751 and p0756 (shift soleniods A and B are stuck off). the truck has never shifted hard or anything always worked excellent. my trani fluid seems a bit burnt as well now. Any thoughts? could my wiring harness have come loose causing this? or would 2 solenoids really malfunctioned at the same time. this is my daily driver. need help asap.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Any water encountered in the 4x4 trip? If so its very likely water entered and sludge up the solenoids. Ive had this happen a few times. Take the pan down and the solenoid pack is right in sight on the side of the valve body. Remove the pack and clean it out with compressed air and new fluid. Let it sit for a day out of the transmission dry and then re install.

Burnt fluid though indicates damage has already been done. With the shift solenoids blocked the wrong pressure is in the transmission. Transmissions run on the correct pressure to all parts for proper function and engagement. Try not to drive it until you have at least removed and cleaned the solenoid pack.

post back what you find and good luck

xracer18

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
no water encountered. i have got the pan down and the fluid is burnt but not as bad as i had expected. no metal shavings or pieces inside the pan. i watched some videos on youtube on how to remove the solenoid pack but when i dropped my pan it looked completely different. so im still trying to figure out how to remove it. so i decided to get 2 get 2 solenoids to replace them. i get them cheap because im employed at oreilly auto. if the codes its reading those 2 solenoids are stuck off. would it be a good idea just to replace them?

xracer18

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh and another question. how do you tell solenoid a from b and such. there are 4 there and i have no idea which is which.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
You can try cleaning them and installing again. If it doesn't work, get new ones form your work.

Hopefully BigMark will come back with an answer to your second question. I couldn't find an answer.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Its easiest to remove them if you pull the valve body. Follow the link below it lists all the solenoids for you.

If nothing significant was in your pan then I would go ahead and just replace both faulty solenoids. They are usually cheap. Just be aware even though you didnt find anything in the pan burnt fluid is damage done. Hopefully when you get it back together it doesnt shift hard or slip, but just have it in the back of your mind the bands may have been damaged and give up the ghost who knows when.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196153

xracer18

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate the advice . Ill get back when i get it back together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals