• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Black Rangers?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So my 1994 Ranger is still running great but I still look at ads for used Rangers, only choice we have now, "used Rangers", lol.
Yes, "they say" new Ranger is in the works FOR SURE!!!
And I say when I can go down to a dealer and take a test drive I'll know it is true :)

So I look thru the ads and may be spot a deal to good to pass up

Jeeze, almost all are BLACK Rangers now
I understand trying to get rid of a Black vehicle, really do, I owned two black cars in my youth, NEVER AGAIN
I hate washing cars, and a black car shows that, lol.

I don't seem to notice too many Black Rangers driving around in my area, as least not enough to support the percentage of Black Rangers for sale around here.
Maybe they just don't drive them so they don't have to wash them :)

Seems like from 2005 to 2012 all Rangers were Black, or at least a very high percentage of them.

Now a Red Ranger, thats a car color you can be proud of, very few being sold in my area, I get not selling a Red Ranger ever, prefect vehicle, but still you would think there would be a few around

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I hear you. Of course, mine is black. The purchase was a special deal, though. Bought it from my in-laws and gave them extra to help out with a financial issue they had. Buying used, we can't be quite so picky. I would love a red one. Dark green or dark blue would be even better for my taste. My wife and her family all like white cars.

I HATE white cars.

But, I bought the Mercedes used and the white one was the best affordable deal.
?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've owned lots of colors. I wash my vehicles once a year whether they need it or not. I like flat black or flat white for an easy to match color. On my race truck it's black and white right now but I want to paint it fluorescent orange....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I prefer black vehicles because over time they turn brown like cookies in the oven and I love cookies....:)

My last one was brown to start with and it was ugly...ugly...ugly. It reminded me of that saying about polishing a turd and I thought "if I try to polish a turd it will get the rag all messy" so I never tried to polish my turd Ranger.

The ones in my area for sale are usually grey and that is as ugly to me as brown. I rarely see blue, green, red or even white Rangers for sale either but I know we have them here because I've seen quite a few around. Just not for sale.

The newest ones are now 5 years old and that's about the best age to buy a used vehicle. The new ones when they get here will probably be in the 25 to 30 K range and most likely out of my reach unless I can find a rich girlfriend who has eye problems and walks slow...

There's always hope...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
All my vehicles bought by me have been black. I like black ... never wash mine tho ...

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mine is black and ordered it that way because the dealer that I bought it new from were sold out of Ranger's and when they located another one for me, it was already sold and is the first black vehicle that I have owned. I don't know if I will own another black vehicle again unless I come across something that I can't pass up and it is black.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Both of my personal vehicles are black now that the BII is off the road and the Explorer is mine.

I don't mind black one bit. Except in July and August, but only if the weather is nice.

Go2fasteddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My first ranger was black and it kept getting hit because people couldn't see it. My 2nd was red and i mean red like a fire truck. My current ranger is blue. It seemed a bit ostentatious at first, but I got over it. Red was a common color for 98. 99, 2000 years. If I had another red one I'd get the newer burgundy. The coolest ranger ive seen was a 2005 black with orange fx4. It looked like halloween.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen all sorts of colors out here but most of them are black or white. Mine is black too but not by choice, it was I could find within 2 days. I personally like black vehicles so I don't mind it, it's always muddy or dusty cause I only wash it after a snow storm just to get the road salt off lol.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One I got now is dark green. I like it, Looks almost black in the shade or dusk, but shines purdy in the sun. I've had a tan ranger, that was nice because it never looked dirty. I've also had a 1991 dolphin blue super cab. I liked all those colors. Only colors I don't like are red and maroon. I like the looks of black but not washing black. I used to be a detailer so I get picky about how something looks.

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 XLT Supercab that was stock red. Due to the issues in that year with paint/primer, I’m having to repaint it, and gloss black is by far the cheapest I can do. I’m working on doing a rustoleum roller job, so if anyone has any good info tips, I’d really appreciate to hear them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Avoid gloss black...

Do a lighter color, like white. Black will highlight EVERY imperfection in vivid detail.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I guess I'm in this club too :icon_twisted:

I bought mine new. Never really regretted the color that much other than it does get hotter inside in the sun than my buddy's white truck. Dust on it didn't really bother me much at least until someone (or occasionally myself) brushed up against it and left clean spots in the dust (or a spittle of rain to screw it up).
I'd probably repaint it black again, I kindof like the color (it needs it too), but I'd also make sure to use paint that is highly reflective of IR and UV light (only absorbing the visible light portion, allowing it to be much cooler). I would assume that given today's trend toward vehicle energy conservation, such paint is fairly common...

(Dark-colored clothing very often uses this exact method of keeping you cooler... You can see this by walking out in front of an IR security camera at night while wearing a black t-shirt (or if you have a night-vision scope with an IR illuminator), the shirt will likely look very light-colored. A black vehicle with such paint would likely look almost white.)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My last two DD's have been black, given Ford's fondness for mainly making gray vehicles now my next one probably will be too. (options are black, white, two shades of red, two shades of blue and like 6 shades of gray for an F-150)

But it does show every imperfection, with a paint roller paint job I am sure there will be imperfections from the get go.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Both rangers are black , and so is the wife's new Cruze and my Z28 will be black when I get it done . Did I say I like black.!!!!!!:icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals