• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Awful mystery squeal

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So a few weeks ago my truck started making a quiet squeal when i turned left. It has been progessively getting worse. I noticed my right rear wheel bearing had a lot of play so I pulled the rear end and the right shaft was all messed up. Installed two new bearings and a new passenger shaft but I still hear the noise when turning left and only left. I had previously replaced the front right wheel bearing assembly so my only other guess is that it has to be the front left one. It has to be. Yet there's zero play in that front wheel. Is it possible the bearing is bad anyway. I know I have big tires and these bearings don't like anything over stock... any other suggestions?

Side note. When I installed the new Dorman axle shaft I was getting super frustrated because I couldn't get the little spacer puck back between my shafts inside my trutrac limited slip. Turns out the new shaft was .020 too long. Nothing sucks more than having to modify brand new parts to fit

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Could be a dust shield or something rubbing on the brake rotor somewhere. They do move and flex a bit, even if they're not "bad". Could be a sign the bearing is on its way out but not bad enough to growl.

I'd check the dust shields and anything near/around the rotor.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That was honestly the first thing I checked. Couldn't see any marks on the rotor or wheel. Pads are still pretty new too. Bearings are weird because when the front right was going 2 years back it didn't make any squeals or growls. Just a speed related clicking noise. That wheel wiggled a lot. So for this wheel to not move at all or just seems odd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals