• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

taillights not working.

daveguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda b4000
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my taillights wont work and the manual doesnt tell you shit about wiring and were the rear taillights main power is. k so my signals,brake lights and reverse light all work, even my licence plate lights work. but my rear taillight wont come on. any ideas

thanks dave,

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so neither taillight works? first be SURE the bulbs are not just burnt out before wasting time.

then trace the wires from the license lights back to the harness plug and wiggle it and see what happens

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the light switch to see if you burned it out. had that happen in another b2 that i owned. Did it twice and ended up replacing the plug it connected to since it melted the plug on it from the light switch getting to hot.

Had the same problem where the tail lights would not work but every thing else would work.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Check the light switch to see if you burned it out. had that happen in another b2 that i owned. Did it twice and ended up replacing the plug it connected to since it melted the plug on it from the light switch getting to hot.

Had the same problem where the tail lights would not work but every thing else would work.
This happens with alot of early rangers I ve heard of, MIne did it and I lost all brake lights unless the parking lights were on. I had to replace the switch and pigtail. But check fuses too. most likely the bulb are burned out because the circuit still works.

daveguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda b4000
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well got it all working. the rear crossmember was tugged on and ripped in half before i got it and i couldnt see any ripped wires but i searched for awhile and there was so i connected the split wire and i had one light on. so i got it off the houst and took the bulb out and checked the plug for power and i saw there was corrosion so i scratch it abit and poof! i had power, so i vasaleened the bulb up and stuck her in. i got lights now.

thanks yall,

chadmilliser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not to sound redneck .. mine messed up and what i did was togo switch the taillights... its funny at night time when somones right on your butt you can shut them off and they back off. :icon_rofl:

scottclark24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
my signal lights and brake lights work but my taillights don't work.what do i need to check?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look for power on the Brown wire coming out of the headlamp switch (in Park/Head positions). No power on BN wire = bad headlamp switch.

Front left, front right and rear each have their own seperate ground, so it's NOT a ground.

If you've only lost the REAR parking lamps, start at the connector at the center of the rear of the bed, check BN wire for 12v. If that is good, clean the ground, G200, located below the fuse panel on the driver side of the dash, may be under the kick panel / parking brake.

There may be a parking lamp relay in the fuse box, under the hood, slot #13, but ONLY IF you have remote keyless entry.
Swap it with the washer pump relay in slot #14.

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Ranger supercab 4wd. I only have working brake lights when the headlights are turned on. Connection and wires check good. Bulbs are new. Any ideas what might be wrong? I feel like I'm overlooking something.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 1994 Ranger supercab 4wd. I only have working brake lights when the headlights are turned on. Connection and wires check good. Bulbs are new. Any ideas what might be wrong? I feel like I'm overlooking something.
You need to start your own thread about this issue.

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I figured it out. The guy who had this truck before me wired the headlight switch wrong.
Does anyone have a pin out for the headlight switch for a 1994 ranger 4wd supercab?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

ja8008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I figured it out. The guy who had this truck before me wired the headlight switch wrong.
Does anyone have a pin out for the headlight switch for a 1994 ranger 4wd supercab?

Original socket for headlight had a burn mark and two pins were not seating right. Some of the pins were broken and weren't making contact properly. So, I replaced the socket with pins and wire. Now I have brake lights working properly.

LynnB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
so my taillights wont work and the manual doesnt tell you shit about wiring and were the rear taillights main power is. k so my signals,brake lights and reverse light all work, even my licence plate lights work. but my rear taillight wont come on. any ideas

thanks dave,
Update on taillights not working:
So I had the same situation as Dave: all lights on the 1991 Ranger working except the taillights and license lights. Checked bulbs and both were good. The taillights are on the same fuse as headlights, meaning there is no separate fuse to check. If you have headlights you should have taillights. So the problem was either in the light switch or in the wiring. The hot lead for 1991 is brown.
Replaced the switch and did not fix the problem, so began to inspect wiring harness. Found a broken brown wire under the bumper. Once it was spliced up it solved the problem for both taillights and license plate lights.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals