• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition timing

79Camaro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck's (94 B3000) distributor is set incorrectly, I have been seaching for a few hours now for the corrct procedure to set the ignition timing, and have become a little confused. Heres what know

1. warm engine
2. connect timing light
3.turn distributor counter clockwise=advance/clockwise=retard
4.set at 10 degrees BTDC
5. tighten down distributor check timing again

Now what I dont know, Is there a wire I have to disconnect before setting the timing? Whats it called and where is it located? I have been dying to get this truck on the road. Any help is much appreciated.

fordman4x492

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.oh 3oh2 v8
Transmission
Automatic
all u gota do is turn the distributer untill it is where it needs to be

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Not exactly sure on this one, but most engines with distributors have a vacuum advance which advances the timing as load increases. Most manufacturers recommend disconnecting the vacuum hose lead to the vac advance and plugging it. (An old golf tee works great here). Then set the distributor till the pointer lines up with the specs. Reconnect vac advance hose when done.

Not sure I've ever heard of a wire that needs to be disconnected though.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There's no mechanical advance on that distributor. The timing is controlled by the computer. there is a connector with a shorting plug in it that needs to be pulled to set the base timing but I don't know where it's located on the three liter, probably close to the distributor. It's been mentioned many times on here but I can't find it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
trace the wires from the dizzy there should be a wire with a fuse type disconnect pull the disconnect from the connector. You can also try adjusting the timing with everything connected so the timing is about 37 degrees at 3500 rpm. If you pull the disconnect and the engine dies your too far retarded keep the light on it and have someone crank on it while you turn it to 10 degrees it should start

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It`s called the spout wire

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info Martin. I'm not too familiar with the distributor type motors used in Mazdas and Rangers. And I come from the old school V8 days. So I appreciate the education. Always something more to learn.

79Camaro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help

I followed the wire off the dizzy and didnt come across the spout wire, so I then checked the firewall near the EEC but it wasnt there either. I finally found it behind the front driver side headlight. Im 98% sure this is it but thought Id put up a photo just to make sure.

So now the steps would be

1. warm engine
2. turn off engine then unplug spout
3. restart engine, hook up timing light, adjust dizzy
4. tighten down dizzy bolt, check timing again
5. then kill the engine and reconnect spout, or connect spout then kill the engine?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it dont start put the timing light on it and have someone crank on it so you can set it while the engine is turning over. It should start when you get close but let the engine warm all the way up first before you lock it down. Then it dont matter when you plug the spout back in. If you cleaned or replaced any of the sensors disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to reset the computer and run it for 20 minutes at medium speeds then check it again when up to temp.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1. warm engine
2. turn off engine then unplug spout
3. restart engine, hook up timing light, adjust dizzy
4. tighten down dizzy bolt, check timing again
5. then kill the engine and reconnect spout, or connect spout then kill the engine?
Yup. :)

Doesn't that have a remount mounted TFI? Would explain why it's be near the head light, but you'll know if it is right or not, when it's plugged in the timing will be all over the place. When it's unplugged the timing stays static. Also helps to put a dab of something you can see real well on 10 BTDC on the dampner, like white paint marker.

79Camaro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all for the info. I tried setting the timing tonight in the driveway, and when I grabbed the dizzy it gave me a shock(shitty spark plug wires)... so I'll be putting it of until tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all for the info. I tried setting the timing tonight in the driveway, and when I grabbed the dizzy it gave me a shock(shitty spark plug wires)... so I'll be putting it of until tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thats one way of checking for spark just kidding you can get that with new wires also if they are not snapped all the way in alot of volts going thru those wires. That is why it is recommended you put dielectric on the wire ends and the center contact on the cap and rotor. If you run it in the dark that is how you look for bad wires just look for arcing easier to see than hear. I was pulling a vacuum line of the vacuum tree on my 2.8 and popped a wire loose from the dizzy with my left hand and it arced almost 1/2 inch or better with my right hand. After my body stopped fluttering and a good break I show a little more respect around a running engine.:icon_surprised:

79Camaro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I finally set the timing this morning. I set it at exactly 10 degress BTDC. The truck now runs and drives great. Thanks to all who have helped me get it on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals