• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine mount bolts removal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
1991 ranger 2.3 Auto a4ld (Trying to jack the engine up and get oil pan out but i cant seem to cant get engine mount bolts to even bulge, Anyone know wrench or socket size? i I cant get a socket on there for the life of me what size wrench will work? I'm using a 11/16 I believe 3/4 is to big. now the second problem Im have are 2 bolts that are bolted from transmission to silver disc to the old pan and those things will not move either.

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would leave the mounts bolted to the engine block. There are fasteners that connect the mount to a bracket on the frame. Generally approachable from directly below. The mounts are on the engine when it is dropped in place in the factory, and plop onto the bracket, likely with a threaded shaft stuck into a hole in the bracket so a nut & washer can be fastened from below. Look there.
You may need some socket wrenches of the metric variety as the engine is metric.(for the most part). If nothing else get a budget set at Harbor Freight.
The bolts for the bellhousing/pan connection will have to be loosened using a socket, I think. Get a 'breaker bar', roughly 2' long, for leverage, or get an impact wrench. Battery powered impacts, 1/2" drive, are not too expensive. Impact socket sets from HF are low budget. Remember righty tighty, lefty loosey.
In most, there is a sheet metal plate between the block and the flywheel or flex plate. It will stay in place until the flywheel/flex plate is removed. Automatics have flex plates.
If you are pulling the engine, are you leaving the transmission in place? Might be easier to pull as an assembly. The torquing of the pan lower bolts to the bellhousing is a procedure as you have a 90 degree assembly to make, and tightening one prevents the other from moving things to tighten the other. Get instructions so you don't break the 'ears' off something. Perhaps tighten-loosen-tighten... some sequence to allow movement.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that nut has a 18mm hex, wrench is definitely easier to get on... I don't think there is a standard equivalent of an 18mm, there's a few 18mm fasteners strewn about on Rangers, the other odd size you'll run into is 15mm, some random 7mm for gauge cluster, dash related and the gas fill tube bracket to the bed...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Looks like i was able to get one engine mount bolt off, but other (drivers side is being stubborn), i took a impact air wrench to the flex plate bolts and those things will not bulge, any other way to get those bolts off? Heat them up?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
3/8 ratchet with shallow socket and cheater bar. Or use a wrench and attach another wrench to it as a cheater bar. Air wrench only has so much torque.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Well guys i got the oil pan down horray! now just have to tackle driver side motor mount and lift engine up and clean it up, Should i replace oil pump while i'm down there or not? I probably should do rear main seal?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You can take the pump apart and inspect for clearance between the gears and housing, and the 'faces' of the gear teeth. If you have a 'rotor' pump, some of the same applies.
Wear on the side plates or end plates can occur, and the teeth can get some cavitation damage over time.
Unless the transmission is removed from the engine block, completely, you won't have access to the rear main seal. If it is not seeping, I would leave well enough alone.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals