• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wet headliner

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys

Well I changed the third brake with a new gasket and all and that didn't solve anything. The screws don't feel tight enough when I screw them down so I changed out the bulbs and sealed the whole light assembly with clear silicone. While I was there I also siliconed the cab corners above the rear windows. Still wet. I have a pretty large nasty stain that runs along the rear of the headliner but when I feel around the headliner, moreso on the passenger side, I can feel it wet, but no visible signs of stains or water.
So before I go and waste my time on changing the rear window seal, anyone know where else I should check?
Here's a link to the pictures:
https://imgur.com/gallery/rzHYeKe

I should also add, I was reaching behind the drivers side small rear seat looking for some screws I dropped and felt the carpet was wet. Not sure if that leak is related or another leak altogether.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You probably fixed it with the silicone around the third brake light. Give everything time to dry out before you assume it's not fixed. The silicone will also help glue the light fixture and gasket to the roof to help out with the loose screw issue. Not sure a window gasket would help solve the wet headliner. Water usually flows down-hill, not up.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You probably fixed it with the silicone around the third brake light. Give everything time to dry out before you assume it's not fixed. The silicone will also help glue the light fixture and gasket to the roof to help out with the loose screw issue. Not sure a window gasket would help solve the wet headliner. Water usually flows down-hill, not up.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
Thanks for replying

It rained yesterday and the headliner got soaked. I could feel the wet spots. The window seal leak is pretty common and some users reported how the headliner was soaked because of it. I know there's no hole in my roof, so I don't know where else it could leak, but the window seal. I'm thinking of removing the headliner and hose down the truck and look for leaks. But that looks like another PITA lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My truck leaks from the front windshield. I fixed it for about 9 months by lifting the seal lip and squirting in some polyurethane sealant. But the rust progresses and it started leaking again. In my case the only true fix is remove the windshield and fix the rust.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck leaks from the front windshield. I fixed it for about 9 months by lifting the seal lip and squirting in some polyurethane sealant. But the rust progresses and it started leaking again. In my case the only true fix is remove the windshield and fix the rust.
How did you figure out the front windshield was leaking? Was there water seeping unto the dash? There's no visible leaks in my front but the headliner does look damaged

The only obvious sign on mine is the water stain in the rear of the headliner

And by damage I mean it's partially peeling and wrinkled

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine was pretty obvious. The headliner had separated from the ceiling and major signs of rust on the outside upper windshield.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anymore suggestions, anyone?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It could be coming in near the front and running towards the rear and that's where you see it. Removing the headliner is the best way to see where it is coming in, then plan your mode of operation.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It could be coming in near the front and running towards the rear and that's where you see it. Removing the headliner is the best way to see where it is coming in, then plan your mode of operation.
Yeah, that's what I thinking. What's involved in removing the headliner by the way? Do the seats have to come out? I plan on replacing the headliner.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Just a few clips I think. search the threads. I'm sure its in here somewhere.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had this exact same problem as well, but my headliner became stained in the back. It rarely rains in AZ so I never think of it, but I got sick and tire of seeing water drip down the inside of my rear glass (this monsoon season has been particularly brutal). I took out the whole interior(aside from seats/carpet). You need to remove the plastic door trim and the rear interior cab trim, visors, and then you can remove the headliner. After all that, I sprayed down the cab with water to find out where the intrusion was coming from, and I did actually find how the water enters the cab. The 3rd brake seal dries up, and water gets behind it. You would think it would go straight don below the 3rd brake lamp, but there's a channel on the inside of the cab that lines along the rear windshield, so it runs to the edges of the glass instead of straight down. I used some of that cork/gummy tape stuff and relined the 3rd brake seal with that, and tightened the screws to the lamp a little tighter, sprayed with water again, and no more leaks. You may have fixed it by siliconing the lamp down, so give the interior a few days to dry out, and check again.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had this exact same problem as well, but my headliner became stained in the back. It rarely rains in AZ so I never think of it, but I got sick and tire of seeing water drip down the inside of my rear glass (this monsoon season has been particularly brutal). I took out the whole interior(aside from seats/carpet). You need to remove the plastic door trim and the rear interior cab trim, visors, and then you can remove the headliner. After all that, I sprayed down the cab with water to find out where the intrusion was coming from, and I did actually find how the water enters the cab. The 3rd brake seal dries up, and water gets behind it. You would think it would go straight don below the 3rd brake lamp, but there's a channel on the inside of the cab that lines along the rear windshield, so it runs to the edges of the glass instead of straight down. I used some of that cork/gummy tape stuff and relined the 3rd brake seal with that, and tightened the screws to the lamp a little tighter, sprayed with water again, and no more leaks. You may have fixed it by siliconing the lamp down, so give the interior a few days to dry out, and check again.
It poured down yesterday and the back right side of the headliner was completely soaked :thefinger: lol I haven't had time to remove the headliner yet, but will it be easy to take it out of the truck? I want to try and remove the stain Or replace it with another.

I also removed one of the jumper seats and found the carpet was wet and shattered glass. I'm thinking the previous owner had one of the quarter windows replaced at one point. Would that be causing the headliner leak? Although the leak is more visible on the opposite side, I'll have to check behind the other jumper seat

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
that would be MY starting point, then third brake light housing, then the drip channel above the doors, those rust out sometimes too.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
that would be MY starting point, then third brake light housing, then the drip channel above the doors, those rust out sometimes too.
Ok I removed the headliner just in time before it started raining. It didn't rain for too long unfortunately, I only got to see one tiny drop at the corner of the rear windshield so I'm thinking the gasket is bad. I was feeling around the corner, seems, and around the third brake light but couldn't find any wet spots.

I did find the roof and behind the jumper seats build up condensation, is that normal? That would explain why I felt the whole headliner wet but didn't leave any wet marks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/M4oZoZV

I had to remove the passenger seat to make it easier to take out the headliner, would it throw any codes if I run the truck like that? There was a harness I'm thinking it's for the air bags

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals