• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Name That Body Part

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, guys. Feel silly asking this. What’s the name of the item seen here, that’s rotted out on my ’92 Ranger?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yrl4Y44s6kmCNhCs37hpQw1vAUkPFRVo/view?usp=sharing

It’s located at the bottom front of the passenger’s side door (opposite the cab corner), just below the door hinges. Can’t seem to locate a weld-in repair panel without knowing what it’s called. A Pillar Bottom? Thanks. :icon_thumby:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I would say that I'm sooo happy I live in the desert! Lol
Sorry man .
It looks like the rocker panel and I guess "a" post or pillar? Might de easier to try and find a clean cab .

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, it seems like it’s the curved part that joins the rocker to the A-pillar. I’ve seen lots of them rot out, so I feel like someone must make them (everyone has the cab corners). :dunno:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I looked at my 92 and it seems that it's all one piece from windshield down to the rocker.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gonna need to find a better truck for a donor and introduce it to a sawzall.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's kind of a mish-mash of parts there. About 4 parts all come together at that spot, the rocker, the firewall, the A-pillar, and the inner fender all meet right in that area.

Take the fender off, it might not be as bad as it looks. But wear a blindfold when you do, because it might be worse than it looks.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's kind of a mish-mash of parts there. About 4 parts all come together at that spot, the rocker, the firewall, the A-pillar, and the inner fender all meet right in that area.

Take the fender off, it might not be as bad as it looks. But wear a blindfold when you do, because it might be worse than it looks.
Oh, it totally is. The PO just shot it full of some kind of undercoating to hide the gaping hole (I feel like burning this guy’s shack to the ground at this point).

Can’t believe that no one sells a lower A-pillar rust replacement panel (it’s just like the cab corners, but at the front of the door, instead of the rear). It’s a common spot for leaks, due to the piss-poor engineering that Ford put into the front ends of these trucks (a quick search on Youtube and/or here on TRS reveals a bazillion people with leak problems).

It’s actually just the A-pillar and the rocker that come together here, but the door and likely the front fender will have to come off to get at things properly. And I already know I can’t fabricate it; too many compound angles. @#*&$%^%@!! :annoyed:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And I already know I can’t fabricate it; too many compound angles.
If you have a welder you CAN make that piece. 4 parts....the vertical, the horizontal, and then 2 pieces to finish: the curved and the L shaped. Use 2x4 or hard wood to make a buck for each piece then weld together then weld in.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sometimes trucks become like fat chicks. They aren't ever gonna be pretty so just ride em hard and have fun.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a welder you CAN make that piece. 4 parts....the vertical, the horizontal, and then 2 pieces to finish: the curved and the L shaped. Use 2x4 or hard wood to make a buck for each piece then weld together then weld in.
Yeah, I thought about that. I did pick up a MIG for this project, but haven’t used it yet (I’m afraid I’m going to suck at welding). I figured I’d have to make it out of 2-4 pieces, with lots of ugly welds. Just thought it would be so much easier and cleaner if someone out there made a pre-formed rust repair panel, like they do for cab corners.

Seems like nothing is still made for this truck; I’d have a way easier time finding parts for an Edsel! Sheesh. :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I thought about that. I did pick up a MIG for this project, but haven’t used it yet (I’m afraid I’m going to suck at welding). I figured I’d have to make it out of 2-4 pieces, with lots of ugly welds. Just thought it would be so much easier and cleaner if someone out there made a pre-formed rust repair panel, like they do for cab corners.

Seems like nothing is still made for this truck; I’d have a way easier time finding parts for an Edsel! Sheesh. :icon_confused:
Actually they don’t really make cab corners either. They make the exterior shell but usually more than that is needed.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sucking at welding is still going to give you a better mishmash than the rust garden on there now.

Go for it!

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sucking at welding is still going to give you a better mishmash than the rust garden on there now.

Go for it!
Grumble, grumble, grumble... You’re right of course. I’ll do it! (or blow up the truck trying - lol). :icon_confused::icon_welder::icon_surprised:

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
I did pick up a MIG for this project
Your going to find out that your either good at welding or good at grinding.. I bought a cordless sawzall and two batteries. I spend a lot of time at the pick a part. I always bring it with me.. you never know when your going to find that diamond in the NY rust(rough)..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals