• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Small things to do for extra power?

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to spend just a few bucks.... But what can give me just a little more power. Lately I have been using a little bit better fuel, which actually has given a decent boost...

Any ideas?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
'Better fuel'? There is ZERO power added by using higher octane fuel. While there are engines out there that will monitor for knock and determine the octane of the fuel being used, then adjust timing accordingly, none of the RBV motors will do so. You are doing absolutely nothing by spending more on high octane fuel other than wasting money by purchasing gas that is (quite literally) harder to burn.

There are NO cheap boosts in power. Keep the truck tuned up and pay attention to when you shift (assuming you have a manual transmission).

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Power costs money. but one cheap thing you can do is advance the cam timing (cost of a timing chain and gears marked for different degrees on advance, gaskets, less than a hundred bones). I have always had decent torque increases by doing that. Stay away from anything on Ebay that says it plugs into your computer and increases power. Best power mod for a 3.0L is swap in a 4.0L ;)

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm. Well it wasnt my money I was spending on the gas... oh well.

Yeah 4L swap... you give me the engine and I'll do it.

haha.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Go to a 4.10 gear or bigger

then there's a power programmer from Bamachips for $400 that will give you a few horse, and they help the low end, part throttle, and over all driveability. You can get an under drive pulley from rouge (sp?) performance for $80 and they say its good for like 8 hp, I dunno but I only hear good things about them and how they help alot across the whole rpm range. Then you can do Roller rockers for $250 that are good for 10 hp I think

As far as a CAI or cat back exhaust there really no power to be had there, JBA makes headers but Ive read they dont do anything. Electric fans are junk, all the ebay stuff (Intake temp sensor resistors, Tornado intake deals, electric supercharger etc) are all crap. Someone makeaas a cam ported heads and lower intake for the 3.0 but Ive never read anything about them and there big money.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go to a 4.10 gear or bigger

then there's a power programmer from Bamachips for $400 that will give you a few horse, and they help the low end, part throttle, and over all driveability. You can get an under drive pulley from rouge (sp?) performance for $80 and they say its good for like 8 hp, I dunno but I only hear good things about them and how they help alot across the whole rpm range. Then you can do Roller rockers for $250 that are good for 10 hp I think

As far as a CAI or cat back exhaust there really no power to be had there, JBA makes headers but Ive read they dont do anything. Electric fans are junk, all the ebay stuff (Intake temp sensor resistors, Tornado intake deals, electric supercharger etc) are all crap. Someone makeaas a cam ported heads and lower intake for the 3.0 but Ive never read anything about them and there big money.
I agree. 3.0s like rpms. Mine pulls 24mpgs sitting at 3000 rpms. Running below that sucks gas.
I've been playing with 3.0s for a while now but, my best running one is stock. I just run it above 3000 most of the time.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1 roller rockers give a little hp by keeping the intake and exhaust valves open longer means more air.
2 your engine computer is not programed optimized so a new "tune" can help that( and boost any other mods)
3 bigger intake and exhaust by them selves will not improve power but together they will.
4 under pullies will not create power but they will free up some taken by steel pullies at the cost of alternator out put (only noticeable at idle)
5 or you can go turbo or supercharger.

and add all of these up

check out this site
http://rogueperformance.com/WelcometoFredland.html

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the link!

:D

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
do the half shaft mod (on rogues site). thats free and from what i hear, it helps. the TB is the single biggest bottle neck on these engines...so start there.

if you have a dremmel tool, port matching the heads and intake would give a noticeable boost.

if your engine isnt DIS, you can advance the timing to actually gain a benefit from running a higher octane fuel.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
As previously mentioned, prob the MOST noticeable "extra power" would come from reearing your rear.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
re-gearing? is that what you mean?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
haha, re-earing :D

ya im pretty sure he meant re-gearing :)

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
HOW DO YOU RE-GEAR AND WHAT DO YOU BUY TO DO IT??? I have a 94 2.3 and need all the extra power i can get out of it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
regearing the differentials for a lower ratio.

you need a ring and pinion set and an installation kit. the installation isnt usually something someone with no experience can do the first time on their own. it takes a few special tools and some knowledge of how to properly set up the gears. if you dont get it just right you will burn through your brand new gears in no time.

a downside to lower gearing is higher RPM at highway speeds.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ie lower gas milage for long trips right....but faster accel...what do i ask for at the parts store??? i have a '94 2.3 xlt 2 door Ranger 5 speed

What were you saying about a throttle body being a bottle neck???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals