• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This truck just will not start

csbuckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 B2300 manual tranny. I've been having to pop the clutch for months now to move it to the other side of the street every now and then. I dont drive it much because I have other cars but the snow is here and I want to drive it. I went through the troubleshooting from the Haynes manual which included...jumping the solenoid, solenoid clicks. I replaced the solenoid with an aftermarket one and the stock one, both just clicked. Jump from battery to a terminal on solenoid, starter clicks, assuming its the coil on the starter that clicks. Tested the starter, tested good and is new-ish. The battery is new also but I'm bringing it to work with me to test again. Is there something else on the starting circuit that I should be looking at? It just clicked after work one day and hasnt started correctly since, weather was nice. I have the starter and battery out to test again tomorrow but I'm really stuck on this. The guy at Oreillys says that he can test the starter at different degrees to make sure its good, sound right?

Other things that are wrong with the truck include the body-to-frame mounts are very bad. When I bought the truck, the right front blinker wiring at the blinker was melted, I got another harness and a new bulb in and it works good but the bulb blew in about a week.

Thanks, again.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check and then double check your grounds and all connections. Actually remove and clean and replace if necessary.

Richard

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Did you check the starter relay? If it doesn't click when you turn the switch, check the starter relay.

You seem to have a hot short in the system. Fuse should have blown before burning the wires on a light circuit. That could also burn a relay up. I suggest you chase the wiring as well as check the relay.

csbuckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have redid all the grounds that I can think of. Battery to engine ground, engine to frame ground and sanded behind the solenoid. Are there any other grounds in the starting system that I need to look at? As far as the starter relay, it clicks every time I turn the key. Swapping relays still yielded the same results.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a bad power cable from the solenoid to the starter to me.

If you are going to all the trouble of removing the starter to take it in for testing, replace the cable if the starter tests good.

csbuckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Alright. I have plenty of power wire from my car stereo days. The starter and battery tested good, of course. I'll be going back out tonight and trying again. The guy at O'reillys also said to make sure the area that the starter mounts to is clean since it acts as the starter ground. I also got new battery terminals. I have high hopes that this truck will start tonight with running new wires.

csbuckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Got it started! Came home and put the old starter back in and put new terminals on the battery, still just clicked. Ran another wire from the battery to the starter and it turns right over. Earl, you were right. Thank you everybody, for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals