• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues with spark on my Dura spark

Danni84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l 104k miles & 2.9l 245k miles
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I'm back. I cannot get spark on my duraspark conversion that I have done on my 84 ranger with the 2.8. it does not make sense to me, because I have started it before, and now I have no spark. The coil is good, and I have power to the coil when key on, it is hot. The only time i get spark it after the key returns from the start position back to the run position. I get one spark, and man does it wake you up. what else could be hooked up wrong? are there any other systems hat affect the spark? :icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your coil is not getting triggered while cranking, it is staying grounded all the time. When the key flips back to run it breaks one side of the primary circuit and fires the coil.

Either the wiring is wrong or the ignition module is bad.

Danni84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there any way of testing the ignition module? or do I just need to guess and check? I also noticed the coil gets hot in a hurry. i'm starting to think i should just blow this truck in place! :dunno:

Danni84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a new ignition module. that did not fix the problem. What really throws me is I fired it up before with the new duraspark in it. than once I was able to borrow a timing gun to time it and do my break in on the new engine I was getting spark only sometimes. So I thought my ignition switch was bad. When I looked at it everything was loose. I then got a new one and replaced it. after that when i went to key on I had a direct short and fried the fusible link wire that runs from the starter solenoid in front of the radiator and into the fire wall. This is the line that supplies the power to the whole system. I went to a junkyard and got one of thoughs and replaced the bad one with it. than I checked every fuse and the headlights. None are blown and the headlights still work so I have power flowing through the line.
my coil voltage drops when I crank it and I still only have spark after the key leaves the start position and returns to run. I have been going over every wire and connection to see if I can find a short, but so far the only thing I have seen is the ground on the battery is pretty worn out and corroded. I am planning or replacing that ASAP, but have little hope that it will change the current situation.

Danni84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, been a while. got it all figured out. Was a loose wire off the distributor, and and coil wire adapter that i pulled off a donor truck had a lot or corrosion on it. Than as it turns out I had mistakenly removed the electronic regulator. I had thought that it was the ICM, but that is on the distributor. Ooops. not to complete the swap I need the carb. Anybody know where i can get a Motor craft 2150 two barrel? the only ones I can find are crazy expensive.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
What do you consider crazy expensive? You can find them on rockauto.com for about $200 for a reman.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
See any old Grand wagoneers around? Most of them had 360 AMC v8s that used the 2150. You would need to re-jet probably for a 2.8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals