• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow hitch on a ranger bending frame

1994Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a redline hitch on my 1994 ranger . when i installed it. i used grade 8 bolts. i pulled a buddy out over the weekkend. it bent my bumper up and pulled my frame down. i dont think a tow hitch should be bending the frame .. im considerings pulling bed off hammering frame and then boxing it it real good in the back and re ataching the hitch and bumper.. and mayb running a suqare tubing cross member across the back to add to the support.

i just dont nder stand why the frame twisted. i thought it would hold up. is it mayb be cause my trucks lifted and its the angle from which i was pulling from??

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have pulled my race car all over the country, tried to pull out a stump and have pulled several trucks out from being stuck without bending my frame.

You should take a look at how the forces act on your frame. Maybe the way the receiver is attached to the frame or the design of receiver is poorly engineered. I have a Hidden Hitch receiver and it is the second one I have installed on a Ranger. Neither caused damage to the frames.

1994Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine mounts right under the bumper to both sides of the frame. i pulled anything and everything with my old ranger. and that hitch was rotted all to hell. i think im going to pull bed off and hitch and bumper and box the frame a little

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Post a picture of your hitch. How far forward does the hitch extend on the frame and how many bolts does it use to attatch to the frame?

What were you using in the hitch? pintle? 8" drop draw bar and pulling on the ball? Strap into the tube with the pin?

1994Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i throw the chain around the main part of the hitch and just pull out buddy or used it to get pulled out. attaches with 4 bolts. i think i need to box in frame and extend it farther down the frame. i can post pics after school

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
be sure to check the frame for rust/rot as well. if they use salt on your roads in the winter like they do ours up here, that might be a contributing factor. just a thought.

1994Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the frame was cherry till this happened

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals