• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some advice on a brake controller...

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone. I was hoping I could get some advice on what brake controller to buy. I know there are a lot of brands out there, and everyone has there favorite. I'll be looking to tow a small horse trailer (about 2500 lbs) with two axles. I don't know whether to go with a proportional or time-delayed controller. I know there are pros and cons to both, and that the proportional controllers are typically more money. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I use a proportional controller. I have never used a time delay type but I can't imaging how they could be nearly as good as the proportional. Saving money on brakes for lesser quality never seemed like a good idea to me. It is good to have power to make it go but it is more important to have good brakes to make it stop.

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok new question...

Looking under the dash on my truck, I don't see any open ports to plug a brake controller into. I really don't want to go splicing wires and shit if I don't have to. Am I missing something just being stupid or is there a seperate connector or something I should buy?

Btw, don't know if it matters or not but I already have a 4-pole flat connector that was already installed when I got the truck. I don't know if its factory original or not.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Rangers do not come from the factory with a port for a brake controller. You will have to splice into wires and you will have to run a wire to the rear for a connection to the trailer brakes.

The four pole flat connector is most likely for the trailer lights only. I run a 6 pole connector but I don't have the break-away safety brake system.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A time-delay controller is suicide. Doesn't matter how badly you want to stop--it will clamly begin to apply the trailer brakes. An inertial type is what you need. It knows you want to stop badly and immediately runs full-on. I also recommend the Prodigy because it's easy to set up. You don't have to level it.

The break-away brakes have nothing to do with the connector. It's just a battery and a switch with a lanyard and it's all attached to the trailer. If the trailer breaks free, the lanyard pulls the switch out, connects the little battery to the trailer brakes and applies them.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The only wire you have to splice for the Brake Control is the stop light switch wire. There is 4 wires on any brake control. White-Black-Red-Blue. White=Ground, Black=12V Power, Red=Stop Light Switch, Blue=Ran back to 7-way bargman plug.

Any innertia controller is good. Some have to be adjusted for level, other, like the prodigy do it themselves. There is also the Prodigy's big brother, the P3, which has a digital mini screen with diagnostics built in.

I would NOT recommend a time based controller, spend the extra money, you won't regret it.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The break-away brakes have nothing to do with the connector. It's just a battery and a switch with a lanyard and it's all attached to the trailer. If the trailer breaks free, the lanyard pulls the switch out, connects the little battery to the trailer brakes and applies them.
I have never run a break-away system but it is my understanding that you run an extra pin on the connector to charge the trailer battery.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a time delay. It sucks. Place that installed mine (would have done it myself but was in a time crunch) was outrageous on their price for a Prodigy. I have to crank the volts up on the highway, then adjust down for in town, or it will grab way too hard.

Prodigy or Jordan 2020 would be my pick. I like the Jordan cuz it hooks to the pedal, not based on the inertia of the truck stopping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals