• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

budget 88 b2 build

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
hey guys ive had my b2 for about 3 months and i love this truck, im 15 its my first working truck and its so awesome. i know alot about mechanics but dont havee alot of cash so im trying to build this with the least amount of money possible. well i paid $200 for the truck, and have put about $20 in for lots of parts i got off a freinds ranger. and got lots of freebies, but now need to break down and get new hubs, my driver side is fine but my passennger side is badly worn out and needs replaced. i woud like warn hubs but sadly they are out of mmy price range, so if anyone has the passenger side manual hub that they could part with, that would be greatly appreciated, i can pay for the hub and shipping. or if someone has a set of warn hubs for sale for cheap ill definnetaly be intterested. now for the questions lol, how do i figure out what kind of rear end, transfercase, transmission and front end are in my truck? it is a 2.9 v6 and a 5 speed manual. i will ttry to get pics up tommorrrow but ou can loook at my youtube videos of it, ill put the link below. thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for reading :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/curtismundy

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
oh and i forgot to say it is fuel injection

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
ok can anyone tell me how to see what transfercase, rear end, transmission, and front end i have? and i am getting a parts truck for free next week. o and how hard is it to do a clutch in a 2.9l bronco II? someone please answer lol

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
there is some really good info in the tech library.

but on your 2.9 b2, you will be looking at a dana 28 TTB front end, 7.5 rear end, all sorts of tranny's you could have, you can till by looking at the pan and matching it to the tranny ID section in the tech library.

the info is there for the transfer case as well.

either a 1350 or a 1354, seems that the 1354 is stronger, but not near enough to attempt a swap..

being tight on cash, you can look into fender cutting, bigger tires, and fixing the little things that i know you know about!!!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
clutch isn't too hard, just takes time, disconnect the clutch line, and tranny xmember, remove the bellhousing bolts, and both driveshafts, then pull the tranny with the transfer case out together, replace the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing and throwout bearing while your in there.

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
yea thanks alot for info, i was afraid this was gonnna be a thread no one replied to lol, but thanks on all the info ill try too get pics up tommorrow :)

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
yea thanks alot for info, i was afraid this was gonnna be a thread no one replied to lol, but thanks on all the info ill try too get pics up tommorrow :)
right on man.

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
o and by the way nice b2 :), and i also have another question, will a instrument panel with a tack plug into the connector that goes to one without a tac and work? i know its kinda dumb, but ive wondered that since i got it

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
o and by the way nice b2 :), and i also have another question, will a instrument panel with a tack plug into the connector that goes to one without a tac and work? i know its kinda dumb, but ive wondered that since i got it
nothing will be plug and play, but wiring a tach is very simple. mine is a sunpro, like 3in or so. you can buy them from 30 bucks up i think. check craigslist locally for good prices on used stuff.

the mechanical tach is what you want, they will have just a few wires, power and ground and stuff, the only tricky one goes to a wire on your coil (i think thats the term), if you follow the center spark plug wire from your distributor, it goes to this part, there is a small (4 wire?) connector, and the tach splices in there. i didn't know exactly when i did mine so you can find out what i did by searching my name (spdcrazy) on here and you'll find a post about a sunpro tach install.

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
yea i got a off brand tach, thats just like a sun pro, but i got it from the guy i got the truck from, he gave it to me since hes my freind and all lol, just need to wire it up and figure ou where to mount it

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
well here are the pics of my baby, and my favorite truck
before, this is what it looked like when i got it

after

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
D28 autohubs are a dime a dozen. I have 15 sets at my local Junkyard. chekc there first for replacements before sinking money into manual. Is takes 30 seconds to change a hub even offroad and you can get 3-4 sets of autos for 40 bux at JY.

USMCFords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2, Bronc
Engine Size
2.9, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I have some warn hubs I could part with. $20 plus shipping?

USMCFords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2, Bronc
Engine Size
2.9, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
D28 autohubs are a dime a dozen. I have 15 sets at my local Junkyard. chekc there first for replacements before sinking money into manual. Is takes 30 seconds to change a hub even offroad and you can get 3-4 sets of autos for 40 bux at JY.
He has manual hubs.

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
it has manual hubs on it now, and USMCford how much will shipping to 97812 be? and how many miles are on em, and what kind of comdition are they in? and could you take some pics and post em here?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals