• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

block plate

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the block plate for an auto and 5 speed different? I know they are marked but what real difference is there? I have a 5sp in the truck and the block plate is rubbing on the flywheel cause it has a break at the starter hole. makes a terrible racket. I should have an auto somewhere in garage if I havent sold it. Next question is can I just loosen the trans and slide it back far enough to get it off the dowel pins and pull the block plate out and slide a new one in there?

1995 ranger 5speed 4.0

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
main thing I can think of is a 5 speed one would be solid and an auto would have an access hole to get to the torque converter bolts. All the bolts would have to come out but you might be able to move it back enough

bigfatloser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can remove the one out of my 2.9 by removing all but the top 2 bolts, those holes are slotted. Use your manual plate as a template and trim the auto one if needed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 4.0 flywheel is bigger than the flex plate, so the starter is in a completely different spot.

The flywheel for the manual trans is 10" across, where the auto flex plate retained the 8 2/3" diameter of the earlier Cologne engines. That means the starter has to be farther out on the manual version, and the biggest purpose of the block plates on a Ford is to locate the starter.

And since the 4.0's oil pan goes all the way to the bottom of the bell housing, there is no access plate, the converter nuts are accessed through the starter location.

Last edited:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks guys, thought there was a difference but wasnt sure. Gonna try and trim off the damage part. Might be able to get a small die grinder in the starter hole ans cut off what is rubbing. still have enough to locate the starter. If that dont work Ill have to replace it.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
had to pull trans all the out cause the flywheel was in the way of pulling the block plate out. Layed the auto block plate and the manual plate over each other and the starter hoels line up. Took the plates and the manual and auto starters to work to measure. There is about a 1/16 of an inch difference in the starters with the manual being the larger one. Just ordered a new manual block plate on line for $25

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
25$ bucks for a new one? You couldnt fix the old one for that. Even if you had a welder. I generally have a parts car for my daily drivers. I don't have one for the Rat,yet. So when I need parts , I have an Auto zone 2 miles away. The local indie chain is another mile and NAPA just re-opened up from that. AAP isn't too far away either. Plus the on-line sources. Parts for the Rat have been reasonable , price and quality-wise. Just never expected to need so many. :D

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
new one got here fri and it is wrong. Its for auto I need manual. Not going to ship it back and wait another couple weeks to get the right one so going to open the hole in the two I got and make them manual block plates. going to use the new machine at work to modify them, wire EDM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals