• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger starts runs a few seconds then dies

draco275

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
87 ranger starts up then dies

87 ranger 4x4 2.9 v6

my truck will star up run and sound great for 5 to 10 sec then die..when i try to give it gas to keep it running it dies immediatly..ive put alot of new parts in thinking it was a fuel issue..i have good pressure at the fuel rail as well.
im stumped and need my truck running again..any ideas would help..
its my daily driver and i need to get to work tomarrow

new parts are

new lift pump
high pressure pump in frame rail
fuel filter
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
throttle position sensor

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It really sounds like you're (still) not getting enough fuel.

Here's the (paraphrased) testing procedure for the '88 2.9l, from the factory manual:

1. Make sure you have gas in the tanks
2. Check for leaks
3. Check for electrical continuity, measure 5 ohms or less across the high pressure pump wires, verify 12v supply, verify good ground
4. Check pressure and flow
A. key in run (engine off) should be 30-40 psi at the rail
B. Unhook fuel return, run a return hose to a container, and run pump for 10 seconds (key in run, ground the pin on the "short side" of the test connector).
C. Good results = 35-45 psi fuel pressure during test, minimum 5.6 oz fuel from the return line, and minimum 30 psi fuel pressure right after you turn the pump off.
D. If it meets those 3 specs, your fuel system is good, look elsewhere for the problem.
E. If pressure is good but flow is too little, check filter and lines for blockage.
F. If pressure and flow are good but it won't hold 30 psi afterwards, check for leaky injectors or fuel pressure regulator. If those are good, replace fuel pump.
G. If there's no pressure and flow, check for leaky injectors or fuel pressure regulator. If those are good, replace fuel pump.

Also, you can test the lift pump, it should deliver 16oz fuel in 10 seconds, before it goes into the filter or frame pump.

Let us know what you find.

draco275

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it has new lift pump and frame rail pump im getting good pressure...a friend of mine said to check the iac could that be an issue?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
New doesn't always mean "good".... Mostly it means "untested."

If it were the IAC, it would run well when you press the throttle. So, no, it's unlikely to be the IAC.

If you know you've got enough fuel flow (not just pressure) to the rail, then I'd look at injectors or wiring. But you don't know that until you test it.

The reason they make these testing procedures is to provide a systematic approach that eliminates the most common problems first and arrives at solution with the fewest number of new parts required. Yeah, you're gonna have to spend half an hour testing it, and yeah, you're gonna have to learn to use a multi-tester, but once you've done it then you can be certain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals