• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick help with tranny fluid

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi again, I'm changing transmission fluid, 98 ranger 5 speed, I did the transfer case a little bit ago and I assume the tranny takes mercon V too, am I right? The guy at AutoZone told me it takes 10+ quarts and I know he's full of shit, about how much does it take before it starts coming out of the fill plug???

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Five speed takes gear oil not atf (automatic transmission fluid). Should be 75-90 or something. Now, with that you do pump it till full and call it a day.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure about that? Because every place I've called said it takes mercon V, I don't want to put the wrong stuff in it.. I have mercon V in the transfer case..

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know the specifics of the 98, but as an example, my 88 has a BW 1350 transfer case that uses ATF (Dex III/Merc, IIRC) and a Mitsubishi FM146 5-sp transmission that takes 90W gear oil (I use 80-90W bargain brand oil).

Have you tried looking up the specs in the owners manual or service manual? That would be the authoritative source.

10 quarts is also an awful lot, mine takes 5-6 pints (2.5-3 quarts). Again, the service manual will list the fluid capacities you need.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Have you tried looking up the specs in the owners manual or service manual?
Is that the funny little book I threw out so there would be more room for condoms in the glove box?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Are you sure about that? Because every place I've called said it takes mercon V, I don't want to put the wrong stuff in it.. I have mercon V in the transfer case..
'98 M5OD takes Mercon (not Mercon V).

However Ford (in cahoots with GM regarding Dexron III too) pulled the licensing of these names around 2007 or so, so now the correct fluid is called "Dex/Merc" by most brands. This is what you want to use.

In my experience, Mercon V causes hard shifting in manual transmissions, my guess is because it's additives are too slippery for the synchros to function correctly (and is likely why companies continue producing the Mercon fluid as Dex/Merc).
Initially Ford said Mercon V was NOT compatible with applications calling for Mercon, then for whatever nonsensical reason they changed their mind on it. They should've just stuck with their original advice. Maybe Merc-V is fine in automatics calling for Mercon, but I will never use it again in a manual.

×2, the M5OD takes right around 2.75 quarts.

Mercon V should not cause any issues in your T-case however (no synchros in the t-case).

Edit:
It just occurred to me the '98 automatic is a 5-speed also, so maybe some clarification is in order since everyone (me included) assumed "5-speed" meant the stickshift. The 5R55E automatic actually does call out for Mercon V fluid.

Last edited:

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I refer to a stick shift as a 5 speed, sometimes as 5 speed manual, I don't know why, it's just what I always hear people around me call it lol. Does newer ford rangers have a 5 speed automatic or just 4? I've only owned 1 automatic car in my life, its a Roadmaster wagon, it runs but it's wrecked..

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Ranger & Explorer (4.0L engines) both got 5-speed automatics for '97. I believe that same 5-speed auto carried through all the way to the Ranger's demise after 2011.

Before the early-mid '90s, automatics with more than 4 speeds were almost unheard of, so an easy way to distinguish was to say you had a "5-speed" (referring to the manual, which during this same period ('80-'90s) almost invariably had 5 gears (+ reverse). Today most manuals are six-speed, and most autos have 6 - 9 speeds (would hate to see the bill to rebuild one of those lol).

jonathan62019

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I put mercon V in mine and it shifts better. Walmart has a super tech red bottle says high mileage formula. It was over a dollar cheaper than the cheapest mercon V i could find.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok
i was told by a transmission guy that has been rebuilding transmissions for around 40 years that the m5odr1 would be fine with anything from atf to 30 weight motor oil but no heavier then 30 weight.. with that being said i run dex/merc atf with 1/3 lucas oil treatment in mine and it shifts very smooth. all be it my m5od was rebuild recently and works like new...

what do you all think?

jonathan62019

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
should be ok. it uses atf fluid because it is what we call splash lubed gear box. if oil is too thick it will not splash on to everything and some gear will burn up. so no thick crap in them :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals