• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help With Dome Light Supervision Wiring with Aftermarket Keyless Entry

rolltideroll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
I posted this question the similar forum, RangerPowerSports, but haven't gotten a response. Granted, I just posted it last night... but the issue has been bugging me, so I thought I'd post here as well. Thanks for all the existing info, very helpful. Here is my situation...

I would like to hook up my keyless entry for dome light supervision, but am having trouble determining which wires I should actually tap to get it to work correctly.

First, I have a 2005 Ranger. The wiring instructions for my keyless entry (KE) show that I need to connect two wires from the KE brain: the brown one and the green/white one...

A) The Brown wire... The instructions say this is the "Negative (-) Door Sense Input Wire." It says I should connect the brown wire from the KE brain to the "existing negative door pin switch."

1. The Ranger switch is negative right?
2. I see that on the driver's door the wire coming from the door latch is yellow/black and on the passenger side is grey/red. I read in another thread you can find these at the GEM model as well. See here http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...ht+supervision

I see that I am suppose to tap into both of these wires connect a diode and then wire them both to the brown wire of the KE brain. Getting this info from here: http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

Is this correct? Is there an easier way? If I need to use diodes, etc. what amp diode? How should I go about it?

B) The Green/White Wire... The instructions say this is the "Dome light supervision output wire" This wire goes to a relay (pin 86). Pin 85 is 12volts and pin 30 is 12volt or ground depending on whether it is positive or negative switching dome light circuit. Pin 86 is to "splice to existing door courtesy light wire from door pin switch."

1. Is the switch negative or positive... (12volts to Pin 30 or ground)?
2. For Pin 86... is this the same tap as in the Brown wire above?

I see there is a blue/black wire coming from my dome light but following it has gotten me lost at the back of the cab. Can I just tap it? Where does it go? Advice?

Thanks for the help. I realize this is a lot of questions, but I tried to do some research beforehand.

-Jackson

rolltideroll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
any ideas? i was hoping to fiddle with it this weekend. thanks all -jackson

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals