• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

off road lights through foglight relay?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger that doesnt have foglights. Seems that ford had everything ready to go for them though, in the fuse box under the hood and where the foglight relay would be is already wired up. The switch plug is also on the dash panel already so all id need is the relay, switch, and lights. Does anyone know what kinda wattage the fog lights drew or if it would be safe to use the existing foglight connection to wire some lights?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
from what i can see, the stock foglights take an 893 bulb, which is only rated at about 37 watts...thats not much.

id run my own wiring if i were you.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive had mine runing two 55watt spot lights for a few years now. Never had a problem with the trucks wireing... I juss need to stop smashing them off lol

CheapRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Old Thread Bump

Old thread bump.

Where should the fog light switch be located on a 94? (trying to see if the wiring is in place in mine)
What dash pieces need to be modified/replaced?

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there are thre "steps" on the dash molding below the headlight switch. the factory switch mounts on one of those three steps (the bottom one if memory serves). if you wanted a factory looking install youd have to replace the whole molding (pull out the ash tray and remove 2 t-15 torx fasteners and the rest is held on with friction clips). otherwise, if you wanted room for more than 1 switch per "step", you could do like i did:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
does anyone have pictures of the pigtail that plugs into the factory switch? i have a facotry foglight switch, the relay, and the foglight pigtails from the oem units. im a running dual battery switch in that spot currently so i was thinking of wiring up either a toggle or rearranging my battery switch to accept the oem switch. heres a picture of my setup

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you find a factory switch you can just cut the hole out and use the factory switch for a clean install. i plan on running 55 watt hellas off my fog light switch

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
so my harness should have an extra pigtail in it underneath the headlight switch? ill have to look again, i dont recall seeing one when i was in that area (i spent a good month in there) but ill look through my photos again and see if i can spot it, thats why i was asking if somone had a picture of the pigtail so that i would know what im looking for and in what area.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i found the pig tail, it was plugged into a relay looking thing so i got myself all covered now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals