• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Argueing with idiots.....Another WalMart 'love' story

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I'll preface this by saying yes I know the reasons for correct tire placement.

Went to look into get a set of 2 tires for the wifes VW Beetle. The back tires are pretty bald (at wear bars) and the front tires are still at about 85%+ of tread left.

So putting those tires on the back axle wouldn't create any issues, they are still quite 'new' at about a year old.

While I know the 'myth' about front tires/back tires...... With the large amount of snow we get, I've always put the new tires on the drive axle to avoid getting stuck. Plus with all the serviceable tread left? Shouldn't be any issue with hydroplaning or other such skidding out. Now if the tires where in really worn out shape, I would consider getting all 4 at the same time.

*Case in point with front wheel drive and snow* Neighbor had a front wheel drive caddie. A lot of weight on the front end and new tires on the rear. Front tires about 1/2 worn.. Zero workable traction and this thing got stuck almost daily in the parking lot. I'll admit to being old school when it comes to where to put the new tires.

However when I mentioned to the guy "We'll be putting them on the rear wheels that are at the wear bars....and moving the front tires to the rear". (As both fronts and backs would have almost equal tread wear.)

The clerk stated they wouldn't do it and proceeded to start to argue with me. When I pointed out "The current front tires have more then 85%+ of the tread of the new tire, so that shouldn't be much of an issue for hydro planeing" He stated they will ONLY mount the new tires on the rear axle!

I mentioned that I can see a hydroplane issue if the tires on the front where severely worn down, but they are still fairly 'new' and pretty deep tread!

He then got rather huffy with me (and I'll admit, start arguing with me as a customer and I'll get extremely pi&&ed off. As a retail manager myself for over 20 years? One NEVER starts to argue with a customer.) The correct answer should have been "Well, that's where we would like to install the new tires. But if you want them on the fronts? We can do that as well." To my understanding it's NOT a WalMart policy to only install the tires on the rear axle. They can suggest or urge, but the customer has the final say.

The next part really was a head slapper. He asked again what the car is. They use a "H" rated performance tire. No big deal, just about every 205/55/16 is either "T" or "H" rated. We have a set of "T" rated on the front currently, as it had more "Biting" tread for snow and such. "H" rated in our area are great in summer, but blow chunks in the winter time. He tells me "The only tire we carry in that rating you won't like in the snow. It's not made for cold weather". So he suggests to look in the catalog to see what other tires could be used.

I glance over to the wife, and she's talking to another guy about the tire issue. At this point the tire monkey decides to flat out ignore me and ring out a few customers...and continues to not even bother opening the catalog.

Again, I get (so don't bother going over the physics) why to use new tires on the rear to prevent spin outs. But it's my choice to where the tires get mounted. The tire is only one part of preventing an accident. Driver ability has a great deal more to do with preventing an accident, and if the tread depth is all about the same? It won't have much-if any effect.

There ends my rant.... I'll look into other tire dealers tomorrow.. Or see if I can talk with a different clerk later in the week.

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And this is why I hate Wal-Mart.

I would put the new tires on the drive axle. But yeah, with 85% tread then you should be able to put them where ever you want without issue.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
A couple years ago I tried to buy two tires to put on the front of my Ranger. I went to four or five shops and they all told me they were required by law to put them on the rear. The last place I checked was at an independent local shop. They recommended putting them on the rear but I insisted and that was the end of it; they put them on the front. The same thing happened to my friends and family.
Every time I have tried to buy tires since then I have not had that issue. I don't know what was going on a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The fun part is still to come. I have to call around after I finish bleeding (again....) the clutch on our Explorer. I want to go with "T" rated tires, and not "H" rated. No need for a tire that can go uber fast!! I need one that will work in all season.

So this should be fun..... All the "H" rated tires in the correct size have about 'summer tread' in an all season wrapping...And ya can tell by looking...it will suck in snow.

S-

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well if U can't find someone to do it they way U want it...buy a jack, jack stands, and a T cross lug nut wrench and swap the tires around yourself...end of story. As far as the T and H rated try Tirerack or something like that and have them mounted wherever. I've never heard of a place that was required to put the new tires on the rear. Give them this :thefinger: from me!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Well if U can't find someone to do it they way U want it...buy a jack, jack stands, and a T cross lug nut wrench and swap the tires around yourself...end of story. As far as the T and H rated try Tirerack or something like that and have them mounted wherever. I've never heard of a place that was required to put the new tires on the rear. Give them this :thefinger: from me!
Oh I've got all that and more. :icon_hornsup:

I'll be calling around to other tire shops and seeing what they have to say.

Just got back from working on the explorer's clutch again.... This thing has me really cornfused.

S-

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I never let anyone install the tires/wheels on any of my vehicles. They can mount and balance but that's it. I always buy extra wheels when I get a new vehicle. Summer tires on one set and studded snow tires on the other. I save a couple hundred bucks a year this way. I also know the lug nuts are properly torqued to spec.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
The "idiots" are probably under orders and possibly there are some liability concerns

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No worries here. Just annoying to have a service writer act like a bigger know it all then I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
The second any shop starts arguing, its time to leave and they get a NO SALE. I had a shop one time proceed to tell me why I didnt want an aggressive tire. I told them they lost my business (about 1k sale). Never went back, ever...

eaglec1978

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Not to start anything here, and i do agree with the OP its up to the customer in the end, wal mart does prefer to put the new tires on the rear as does sams club. I worked in thr tire shop at the local sams for 1.5 years and we would suggest and even explain why but if they wanted them on the front we did it but had the customer sign a waiver stating that we explained everything so if an accident happened due to tire placement it was on them. But to argue, thats a big no no. I would call 1-800-walmart and make a complaint and they will at least look into it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I drop off wheels at a tire place when I need new, one time I took a Taurus in, it took 205/75/14's, well 205/70/14's were on sale, just slightly smaller. No big deal right? Well they wait until they have all 4 tires off the car to tell me they can't put those on because the door sticker said that other size. I told them to put it back the way it was. And I left and got tires elsewhere. Since then I always drop off wheels and mount them to the vehicle myself.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hey since this is a hot thread and I'm need tires here in a month...

I've got a 2wd 4.0 OHV. I want some good all seasons 205/75/R14s.

The TTB suspension really eats the outside of the tires I've got, any tire/PSIG combo that works good to mitigate this? I typically run run at 35psig as that's what the tire says to do.

what tires do mya'll's recommend?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey since this is a hot thread and I'm need tires here in a month...

I've got a 2wd 4.0 OHV. I want some good all seasons 205/75/R14s.

The TTB suspension really eats the outside of the tires I've got, any tire/PSIG combo that works good to mitigate this? I typically run run at 35psig as that's what the tire says to do.

what tires do mya'll's recommend?

I recommend you try a little searching. Second, I recommend that you start a thread in the appropriate section. You will be able to get better help there

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I recommend you try a little searching. Second, I recommend that you start a thread in the appropriate section. You will be able to get better help there
It's an active thread where people clearly know their tires, I thought I'd try my luck and ask while I was here reading. Didn't mean to kill the vibe..... my bad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals