• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 6.4 powerstroke issues

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I'm at a loss. My PDF is cracked, when running hard it pukes a little coolant out the degas cap and my trans sometimes doesn't want to upshift.

I bought the truck 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems. The engine and turbo's are brand new when i bought it. A long block was put in when the previous owner traded it in blown up. Its got a new radiator, long block, both turbos, torque converter and a heater hose I put on. The truck is bone stock as it sits and when I bought it.

The exhaust is blowing smoke so I took it to ford.. DPF is cracked. Bought 5" exhaust and a mini max

Coolant issue... Blowing coolant out of the degas cap. Ford says not headgaskets after being in their shop twice on two separate occasions for a total of 5 weeks. Pressure tested and it came back fine. Held pressure for 3 days. They did a block test.. Fine. All of the coolant system does not have a leak. They, as well as i, replaced the cap. I replaced a heater hose and y pipe because they said it was leaking the first trip in. I pulled the water pump to look for cavitation and none. I deleted the egr and DPF and it spewed out antifreeze again. Took it all off and back to stock, still puked a little out. They did their inspection the second time, replaced the cap and it puked just a little more out, but not like before. Now I'm kind of thinking since I drained the coolant for the egr delete that it may have had an air pocket in it is why it puked so much. Remember, its a new long block and ford confirmed twice its not headgaskets. So what could it be?

The tranny is not upshifting sometimes. It got stuck in 5th going down the highway and wouldn't shift up. It will shift down just fine and its very sporadic. Its not every time I drive the truck. Its done it in first and second before too but only for a couple seconds. I've had the battery connections off quite a bit from putting on a cai and the tuner. I've heard that having the terminals disconnected can reset your adaptive learning and the day it was in 5th is the day after I put the cai back on with the terminals disconnected.

So, im faced with the problem of what to do. Put the tuner and exhaust back on and drive it to see what it does or continue to fight with ford over the puking and tranny issue. Mind you ill have to take the exhaust back off if it goes in under my warranty.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It has been a few years since I put on my big-boy britches and played diesel tech, but I know you don't put a 6.4 long block in without replacing the heads. It's as good as playing Russian roulette with all 6 chambers loaded.

The the 6.0s had issues with the injector cups. They would allow fuel into the cooling system. The 6.4 is just an over-done 6.0. I have never heard of a 6.4 having that issue it isn't impossible.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Think I should put the exhaust and tuner back on and just see what happens? I'm thinking after a relearn with the tuner it will solve the tranny issue but may compound the coolant issue. It could have been this truck just likes to run a little lower on coolant in the bottle. Its just below the cold line when warm. Before it would be just below the cap when warm.

dsltech83

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I might be a little late to the game, but if the truck is deleted and pushes coolant out the radiator cap, the head gaskets are more than likely compromised. Coincidence or not all of the 6.4's I've seen with head gasket issues have had mini maxx's on them.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Think I should put the exhaust and tuner back on and just see what happens?
No, I think you should leave a whole pack of cigs smoldering in the cup holder and hope the insurance pays it.

I might be a little late to the game, but if the truck is deleted and pushes coolant out the radiator cap, the head gaskets are more than likely compromised. Coincidence or not all of the 6.4's I've seen with head gasket issues have had mini maxx's on them.
Coincidence. We saw a LOT of 6.4s with head gasket issues and no tuner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals