• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filter clips snapped in half...

stealthmode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Whilst swapping out for a new fuel filter I managed to completey snap those cheapo "c clips" so that they don't clamp around the ridged in/out lines of the filter.
Apparently its pretty common cuz I found out later than sooner theres a f&*^*in tool to disconnect them without hastle! grrrrr
So I went down to Ford and tried to order just the connectors of the three fuels lines that house the "c clips" but with no luck. They said whole new lines were needed.... but will costs big $$.
The junk yard only has older explorer and rangers that have single IN/OUT lines....I got 2003 FX4

Any ideas?
I found this on Ebay item number (230293916552). Seems fitting and cheap...
But they dont ship to Canada! Bastards.

Thanks for the help......
(waiting patiently with duct taped lines :icon_thumby: )

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could you have someone in the states buy it and then have it shipped to you? will cost more, but worth a shot. also is there a part number? Maybe you can just crawl under someone elses ranger and steal them... Perhaps at the dealership that said they couldnt do it.

stealthmode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
lol
i always think about idears like those when i have to buy dealer direct
:thefinger:
:thefinger:

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They sell them in parts stores too.

actbubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I broke one of mine but it still seems to work. I just stuck each half back in.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
These are the white plastic "hairpin clips" for the PLASTIC fuel line connectors?

If so those whipe "hairpin clips" are a "One Use item"

You SHOULD get new ones with a new fuel filter.

The other type of connector has a stainless steel body with inward facing barbs
and that "Barb spring" is also replaceable, you just need to find a parts man who
isn't a total asshole.

AD

whitebassbenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
... small hose clamps ???

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, you have a 2003 FX4? Are you sure you should have been pulling those out? The fuel filter on MY 2003 FX4 was a tool free change.... squeeze and pull. I was completely astonished when I did mine, it was easier and less painful than missing the last step on a flight of stairs.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My shop has a repair kit that can repair any plastic line as well as replace broken ends. You need to ask around a little more.

stealthmode

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help.
i will keep digging around some more and in specific shops. i'll post a solution for reference.

btw- to be more specific i will take some pics of the cracked housing that hold the clips in place.

Last edited:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Check at your local parts store (such as advance auto)....they should be in the Help section. Just ask the parts guy for replacement quick disconnect fuel line clips...

EDIT....I just noticed your in Canada. I dont know what kind of parts stores are there, but I assume there should be one near you with a decent selection of parts.

And another thought...some new filters, such as purolator, come with new clips on the filter. I realize you already have a new filter, but buying another one for less than $10 bucks might be the easiest way to "search" down these clips...

Last edited:

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Was browsing and saw this thread.

Don't know if you solved your problem, but it seems to be quite common.

First couple of fuel filter changes, I would struggle with the clips and that tool - finally got tired of it, and was always afraid it would break.

Replaced the OEM clips that attach to the fuel filter with aftermarket quick disconnect fittings - Dorman makes them, as well as other companies, and they are available at aftermarket auto parts stores. Most independent mechanics should know about them as well,

An earlier post was right on about these repair kits:
Would that be something similiar to this?:

http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-dor-800-300.html

QUOTE]

On my Ranger, there are two 5/16s fuel lines going into the filter; these lines fit onto the filter (IN) with one 3/8s connector, and one 5/16s connector; on the (OUT) side going to the engine, there is a 5/16s connector on the filter that feeds to a 5/16s line continuing to the engine. The lines on my Ranger are teflon where they connect to the fuel filter, in/out sides both.

The connectors on the repair kit slip onto the filter and snap into place; they disconnect by squeezing the release, and then pulling the connector off the filter - no need for any special tools, takes literally seconds to connect/disconnect.

On the other side of the part, a teflon fuel line ends in a brass adapter that can fit into teflon or rubber lines, and are clamped into place. If fitting onto a steel fuel line, a short section of the appropriately sized rubber fuel line would have to be fitted over the existing steel line and over the brass adapter, and clamped into place.

I'll post this first and see if I can find an old quick disconnect connector that I have, and maybe post some pics.

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
^ BTW, the Dorman part in the link above was for the whole kit as sold to garages or to parts stores.

You can buy just the piece you need; ususally, various sizes of connectors for most major makes are available, fitted to different sized fuel lines and adaptors.

I found the old part and photographed it

This is the end of the repair kit that fits into the exsiting fuel line - it's something of a pain to insert the brass adaptor into the existing line, but it can be done - just be sure not to crimp the line as you are inserting it. I've only photoed one clamp, but it came with 2.

This is the quick disconnect end that fits onto the fuel filter - just squeeze on the black part, the tension will release, and you can pull the connector off. To place on, just slip the connector over the fuel filter fitting and it will snap into place.

As posted earlier, on my Ranger, I needed 3 of these: (2) x 5/16s connector fitted to 5/16s teflon line with brass adaptor; (1) x 3/8 connector fitted to 5/16s teflon line with brass adaptor.

Now it literally takes only seconds to disconnect the filter, and no special tools are ever needed.

It certainly makes changing the fuel filter regularly a lot easier.

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT....I just noticed your in Canada. I dont know what kind of parts stores are there, but I assume there should be one near you with a decent selection of parts.

QUOTE]

In Canada, we can pretty near get anything/everything that's available in the States - only real problem is that by the time you factor in the exchange rate, we end up paying quite a bit more for the same thing.

I have a friend who has an auto parts store, and most everything that he stocks comes out of the States, either directly or through Canadian subsidiaries of American firms.

The only other real difference, is that sometimes there are brand names that are uniquely marketed in either the Canada or the States, but this is relatively rare - for the most part, the same product is available in both markets.

I know for a fact that the Dorman line is available up here in Canada.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals