• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O2 Heater Circuit?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As below: 2003 3.0L

Need to know if the heater circuit (keyed on) stays on after engine gets warm or does the PCM turn off the heater.

I have used the fuse for this circuit and an Add-a-Circuit tap to power my electric fan.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think it is just key on power, so shutdown after so long.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Further thought on this is the power at the fuse is always on and switched through key then, if switched through PCM if not on after engine gets hot.

I had a couple blips on the speedo needle when the fan turned on and then off. Going to monitor it further. The wire to the fan controller sees few amps, but either way the draw would be through the fuse box supply, before the heater circuit.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I pulled my FSM and in the heated O2 sensor description it states the heater is turned on/off as conditions require. It also states that the heater always has power but that the PCM grounds the heater to complete the circuit and activate the heat cycle.

That means the fuse is always hot when the key is on (start/run), which is what I figured out originally using my test light. The PCM heater cycling should have no effect on my fan controller as it draws almost nothing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals