• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger Starting Problems

moonbeam

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When I turn the switch on I hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds. After those few seconds it shuts off. I have the filter out right now to see if it will continue to pump fuel but it doesn't. I've checked the inertia switch and it's not tripped. The relays appear to be good. Any thoughts where I should look next? TIA for any help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most factory electric fuel pumps only run for a few seconds with key on, it is a safety issue.
Computer will turn on fuel pump full time when engine RPMs are above 400, engine started.

If there is an accident, roll over or fuel line breaks then engine will stall, 0 RPMs, and electric pump will be shut off computer, so no fuel pumping out to feed a fire
Inertia switch can also cut power to fuel pump if it trips in a sudden stop, another safety feature

So what you see is normal for fuel injected Rangers, 2 second fuel pump run time, but EACH time you turn the key on, so you can repeat on/off as much as you need to, to get pressure in the system up.

If your starter motor is turning the engine over, then do 50/50 test
Spray gasoline or Quick Start(ether) into the intake.
Try to start engine

If it starts and then dies, fuel injectors or fuel pump is not working, or bad gasoline in the system

If it doesn't start then spark is the issue.

50/50 quick and easy

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals