• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GM Gains 2% Market Share And Takes Sales Crown From Ford

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do we know the dimensions of the new Ranger, compared to my 1990? If Ford ever asked me what I want, I'd tell them I want a small, maneuverable vehicle with hauling capability, and four wheel drive.

I don't think I'd really want anything much bigger than my Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do we know the dimensions of the new Ranger, compared to my 1990? If Ford ever asked me what I want, I'd tell them I want a small, maneuverable vehicle with hauling capability, and four wheel drive.

I don't think I'd really want anything much bigger than my Ranger.
It is quite a bit bigger. Like current Taco/Colorado sized.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do we know the dimensions of the new Ranger?
New Ranger in crew cab config is almost exactly same size as the 1st gen ('01-05) Explorer Sport Trac; cab is a little short/box is a little bigger. (Even box depth is close 19.7" versus 20.1").

In Supercab config, its about 3" wider and 9" longer than my '98 in same config.

It's still shorter than RCSB '97 Lobo (Mexican version of F-150) and about 8" narrower. (All configs of new Ranger are built on same chassis, so all are same overall dimensions).

All comparisons done in my company's parking lot in Guadalajara.

So, it you're going from Explorer Sport Trac to new Ranger, no difference; from last gen ('98-'11) Ranger to new Ranger, same amount larger that the last gen is over 1st/2nd gen; from 1st/2nd gen, it double the difference to the last gen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Jim:

I'm confused as to what the Ranger has to do with full size sales
Nothing. GM has finally out sold Ford in truck sales because Ford didn't think there was a need for midsize trucks, and dropped the Ranger in 2011.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Nothing. GM has finally out sold Ford in truck sales because Ford didn't think there was a need for midsize trucks, and dropped the Ranger in 2011.
A need for midsize trucks? That midsize is just a wee tad too big for me (ok, more than a tad!). Even a compact pickup like my 1990 is almost too big for me, but at least it's still easily maneuverable.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A need for midsize trucks? That midsize is just a wee tad too big for me (ok, more than a tad!). Even a compact pickup like my 1990 is almost too big for me, but at least it's still easily maneuverable.

Sounds like you need one of these....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
F-Series is still #1 so Ford won’t lose their title.

There have been times you could combine GMC and Chevy fullsizes and they outsold Ford too. Different brands though so it doesn’t count.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sounds like you need one of these....

There are times I wouldn't mind owning a bongo truck like that. Pure utility.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
There are times I wouldn't mind owning a bongo truck like that. Pure utility.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Last time out ae the ORV park a guy had an older (i assume) one of those that wss 4wd. Damn thing would climh like a billygoat and pull like an ox. I was impressed.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't intend this to be personal, just to set record straight:

As has been noted GMC has outsold Ford for total domestic trucks numerous times in last 50 years, just not for a specific model. And Ford F-series model is still #1, over Silverado, so no foul. I also wonder how much the magnesium fire at the supplier hurt sales.

Ford couldn't sell a 2012 version of the 3rd gen Ranger - CAFE fuel economy requirement was 23mpg for 2012, and only the RCSB/2.3/manual/4x2 made the grade (@ 24mpg, 2.3/auto was 20mpg, Supercabs, 4.0s, and 4x4s are mid teens). And Ford couldn't justify production for just one model.

2011 sales are high because all the dealer knew it was last time buy; sales without external factors was probably 50k, same as '09 & '10.

The right time to have refreshed the Ranger was '08, but with auto industry in middle of recession only critical projects made it. Ford looked across street at GMC and saw the restyled mid size of the competitor only selling at Ranger rates (and fading the same way) and choose not to put Ranger on critical list.

And when GMC reintroduced the Canyon/Colorado, in '14, there were a lot of GMC execs polishing CVs. If the new midsize had sold at the levels the previous version had or worse stole Sierra/Silverado sales 1:1, there would have been a bunch of Chevrolet managers looking for work.

But Colorado has been selling at rates only rivaled by Tacoma, and Silverado sales are up too. So, it is Ford execs who are looking for work as they couldn't correctly read the Tarot cards.

On promoting the Ranger, I am of mixed feeling: I can understand Ford not wanting to over-hype the truck - it won't be available for 6+ more months, and initial volumes are going to sell themselves. On other hand, I would like more information on feature/options/capacities - my local dealer would like them too as she knows I will special order a truck as soon as I have that information (My '98 has cancer, and I suspect it will soon be terminal...)

I am also split on size of new Ranger - being a bit larger, it should handle my camper and jet ski better than my existing truck. On other hand, that is <5% of my truck's usage and some hing like this probably matches closer to what I need*. One can always put the camper on a trailer.

*Similar box on an Escape/proper hardtop, but with suspension modified to provide decent clearance between wheel wells. The Jeep Wrangler gets too poor fuel economy to consider a pickup conversion - interesting how they have a special exemption from CAFE.

Attachments

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The right time to have refreshed the Ranger was '08, but with auto industry in middle of recession only critical projects made it.
It should have happened well before that, the last redesign was 10 years old (SLA suspension in '98) interior was 13yo (came out in '95) and the overall look of the truck would have been 15 years old. That is archaic even for 2008. They ran the thing another 4 more years after that too..

IMO around '02 would have been good but then doing things right it would have been due for something again around '08. Nope they were still selling a 1998 truck in 2008 and wondering why sales were declining.

2nd gen Colorado came out in '03, it was do for an update around 2008 but received nothing... that one IMO could be blamed on the recession.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals