• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my truck wont start, where to start?

rangergirl1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
?!?
Transmission
Automatic
I don't plan on checking into any of this myself, unless it is SUPER basic. The point is I don't want a mechanic charging me to flush this and replace that if the problem is a tiny wire or something. So any best guesses based off my description would be greatly appreciated!

A few months ago my car began having issues starting. On the first try it would ch-ch-ch-ch-ch, but not start, and on the second try it would roar right up just fine. It never took more than two tries, and sometimes only took one try. Then last week I got in and turned the key and just got one loud CLICK of failure. When the key was half turned my music, lights, and power windows worked, but when turned all the way I kept getting one single click/clonk sound. Not quite sure how to describe it. I was able to get it started after 4 or 5 attempts, and for the next few times I drove it either started fine or did the ch-ch-ch-ch one time before starting. Then I got the big CLICK again yesterday and it took what seemed like 100 tries to start. I plan on takin the ol' girl in tomorrow and we tend to get screwed at the mechanic. Thanks in advance for reading and responding!

azreb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The first thing I would check is the battery terminals. They could be corroded. A good mechanic will check that before the expensive things. It might be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. That could take more time to isolate, but I wouldn't expect it to be an expensive fix. Good luck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My list of top suspects would be a bad wire/connection somewhere around the battery, then the battery itself and then the starter.

I have been working in dealerships for 5 years now. I have never seen anyone recommend to flush anything for a no start or hard start condition. I think the closest thing I have ever seen to that was the time I sold a guy a fuel filter when he brought it in for a hard start, and frankly that had more to do with the filter not being changed in 80,000 miles.

rangergirl1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
?!?
Transmission
Automatic
My list of top suspects would be a bad wire/connection somewhere around the battery, then the battery itself and then the starter.

I have been working in dealerships for 5 years now. I have never seen anyone recommend to flush anything for a no start or hard start condition. I think the closest thing I have ever seen to that was the time I sold a guy a fuel filter when he brought it in for a hard start, and frankly that had more to do with the filter not being changed in 80,000 miles.
Nobody has recommended I flush anything yet- but good to know that is not the answer if they do! Any time I have ever taken my truck in for a problem there's been multiple things fixed or replaced or flushed before the problem Is fixed. Hoping this won't be a repeat. I wish someone would just have had these exact symptoms and could give me and answer! Since power Is fine for my lights, radio, etc, could the actual battery still be the problem?

tad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lights and such can work fine with a bad battery connection. After you disconnect and clean the terminals, and you still have the problem, I'd move on to the starter.

A common problem is the starter approaching end-of-life. If this is the issue, you can try tapping on the starter with a hammer. If it starts up afterward, the starter is going bad and you know what your mechanic should fix.

If it still doesn't start, check the connections on the starter and the starter solenoid (triangle-shaped box with two posts, on the driver's side toward the rear of the engine bay).

CheapRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since power Is fine for my lights, radio, etc, could the actual battery still be the problem?
Yes, it still could. One reason, is voltage drop, where you have 12 volts going to everything, but you have a wire problem that causes an increase in resistance, so the amperage isn't there. (think of a faucet, crack it open and you still get water, but not enough pressure to water the yard)

Do you have access to a multimeter? YouTube has links on how to use one to check the battery voltage, which is a simple check you could do (not going to get into voltage drop tests) that you can use for other things as well (batteries in other things at the house). You could also climb under the car and look for loose or hanging wires. Those are some basic, peace of mind tests.

spraymonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
like everyone else has said, check your terminals and follow the wires going back to the starter, and checking for resistance is good too, you may have a broken wire(s) inside the insulation and not even know it. But it to me it sounds like your solenoid on the starter is taking a dump, Solenoids purpose is to "PUSH" the armature and gear out and mesh with the flwheel. So for me i would look at the solenoid, on the starter, if you dont know what that is there are two basic parts, The starter itself which is quite big, and on top of it is a little mini version, that is your solenoid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals