• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speed Sensor Issue

carguy200550

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok I bought a 1994 ranger 2.3L 5 speed truck and the speedometer wasn't working. I crawled under the truck and found the speed sensor zip tied out of the way to the frame (not in the tranny). However when I looked to the spot where the sensor should go I found it to be blocked off (see pictures). The only thing I can figure is that someone put in a new tranny and didn't get the right year model to accept a mechanical vss. What can I do to get my speedometer working?

carguy200550

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
on further inspection it looks like there is a metal plug that could possibly be removed, anyone have any input on this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Try removing it.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That IS a newer transmission.

The first photo shows the boss where the VSS would have gone, forward/Driver side of the tailshaft housing.

The plug in the second photo, beside the label, is NOT for the VSS. That is the FILL plug. Nothing in the second photo is VSS related.

I'm pretty sure you won't find any gear drive guts inside that trans to drive your VSS. Since it is a manual, I recommend just putting a $100 GPS in and call it a day.

An off the wall option is to tap into the rear axle (ABS) VSS wires (LG/BK and R/PK) and connect those to the existing VSS wiring (GY/BK and PK/O you already found at the transmission). The R/PK and LG/BK wires are also available at the RABS Module and the RABS Test Connector. I can't assure you the pulse rate is the same, but I suspect it will be. Worth a shot.

Report back if you do that wiring and it works. Will help a lot of members!

cbeck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 99 trans I bought for my 94 looks a little different from your picture. my99 loons likeit was properly cast but not final machined, no surface plug but hole is blind with no retaining screw hole either. Let us know it works out. By the way, my 94 driveshart and 99 slipyolk use different joints,solved with napa joint # 353.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals