• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The slow transformation of a worn out 93 Ranger XLT 2wd to something better than the $500 POS I started out with.

Pix are from the seller. Hey, it can't get much worse can it?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
OK, yeah it can. It needed a clutch when I bought it and no damn way was it gonna pass emissions here so its registered elsewhere.
Clutch was replaced, its insured and doing dd duty now.
Gratuitous folded up rear bumper pic, again from the seller:

Found another 93 Ranger in the same color today at the Pick n Pull but its a 4x4. So the 2wd will become a 4x4 using parts from this and the 92 Explorer I have for my B-II project. So I have much of what I need already.
But I'm slow, poor and lazy and need it to continue as my dd for a while, as well its nearly winter here in the northwest. Did I mention I'm lazy? lol

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I should add that its a 4.0 thats supposed to be rebuilt. Theres a rebuilders tag but I never saw any bills so...
I'm calling it the Guinea Pig cuz I have some really stupid ideas beyond just converting it to a 4x4. I'm only planning to TTB it for now since I have that stuff including a lot of the lift parts. I think I'm only missing drop brackets and a driveshaft fwiw.
Tonight (ok, last night as its after midnight), I pulled up to back into my spot and it died. Big time. Lights went out and no starter. I'll look at the battery cables in the am.

"POS..." I said. lol

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just finishing modifying a pair of 2003 tail lights for this. Its had a busted right since day one.
I reasoned that since I hate doing wiring I'm just gonna change the tails themselves to take the 3 bulbs in the 1993 truck wiring. Way I figure, no sense in modifying the truck to take the 03 tail housings - better to make them fit the truck.
Might post pix if It works out well. Or if it fails, we might all get a laugh.:icon_rofl:

Edit: Although it looks messy (JB weld is kinda runny) it looks like its gonna be good. Bear with me as I get this posted up.

Re-edit: I will try a few other places to develop pix. So far its looking like my camera is no longer supported or my flash card has an issue.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the grille from the 93 parts truck at Pick n pull yesterday but on my way out spotted a 99 Ranger just in to be wrecked. I'm told it'll go into the "lineup" Friday or so. Want at least the fenders off it, maybe the whole clip (though I'd rather have a power bulge type hood...) and doors.
So many parts, so little money....

Still nothing on the camera. Might get a disposable one until I get it figured out.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
What are you gonna be using it for? Prerunner, mud, rocks?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Its gonna be my dd for sure. Mostly for mild trails using up my extra parts from the Bronco II. The B II will be the crawler.
I'm going about it the stupid way too I know. I shoulda just bought a newer 4.0 4x4 in the 1st place but I held out for months just to get a Ranger cheap. Oh well. I like a challenge.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Bought a left front fender and the driveshaft from the 93 4x4 at the pick n pull today. Not sure how long it'll be before I convert it to a 4x4 yet. But 93 body panels and that kind of stuff will get mounted as I get time.
Probably be a while before I put a newer clip on - still gathering parts and deciding how new a front end I want.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I hear the D35 ttb's are decent for most wheeling. A lot of guys use them without any issues. I'm a big fan of straight axels though.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I grew up with solid axles and frankly, every time I look at a D35 I'm unimpressed with its small size and kind of complex nature. I always had Scout II's before and have never had an issue with their D44's which is why I chose one for the rear of the Bronco II.
But there are guys beating the sh!t out of the D35 ttb setup and getting great flex too. So the problems can be overcome. I'll work with it for a while, I might even come to like it. I have two here to choose from and even have extended radius arms for this project. :D

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Also found, hidden among the full size rigs (in the wrong section of the yard) an 89 Bronco II with an M5OD R1 and manual transfer case. Sorry to say, this takes precedent over the 99 Ranger clip and I'm not a rich guy. Between jobs at the moment.
The 2.9 version of the M5OD has slightly deeper gearing and frankly, I hate the ratios in it now. Its too tall with 3.08's out back. :annoyed:

Edit: Decided the JY price for a Mazda 5 speed and T-case was too much. Would have totaled over $350 for parts of unknown quality. Theres an 88 Bronco II on CL with that trans and a ( ? ) transfer case and they want $400 complete.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
93 4x4 grille in last night. Its false advertising now but looks better than the weatherbeaten, cracked up the middle stocker. Looks matter. :icon_thumby:
Snowed here so nothing done today. Hopefully pick up more stuff tomorrow.

Edit: Though I paid for the rear driveshaft to be pulled from that 93 a couple days ago, its still not out. Today while checking on this I discovered an 07 FX4 light rollover in the lineup. Scored the tailgate (not perfect, but ok) and 2 of the flares. I'll see if I can talk them into taking a 1 piece driveshaft from one of the newer trucks Monday. Want the rear bumper too, that'll make the back of this old POS look way newer. :D

Edit: (Feb 7 2014) Ya know, I never did get that driveshaft...

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Todays score: Leather manual bucket seats from an 08 FX4. Price: $80. :yahoo:
Still no sign of the rear driveshaft. :( And although I want the rear bumper off that 08, the truck is sitting on the ground without wheels.

Gonna take a bit of a break for the holiday.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Dang you're pickin up all kinds of goodies! I'm tryin to decide whether to take the money I have saved up and finish my current ranger or buy another one for a dd, sell my CRV then finish my current ranger. Starting to lean towards finishing my current ranger, selling my CRV then buying another ranger for a dd.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Rangers make great dd's. I'm getting better mileage with this than I did with the gf's 4 banger Malibu. Bet the CRV is better tho. Mind you it sounds like Kevery might want it. Sometimes cash is better.
After Xmas I'm gonna go for some big stuff cuz they're having a sale. When I get some access to the gf's garage I have some stuff I need to install. Fender, seats etc.
Still liking your build man. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals