• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cooling problems

stuntman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 Ranger when I am going50 mph no problem cooling when I slow down or come to a stop the temp goes way up. I have replaced the radiator the radiator cap,thermostat,fan clutch.I have noticed when I stop driving and turn off truck there is a gurgaling sound coming from the radiator overflow and it filled itself up all the way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do the Glove test to take blown head gasket or cracked head off the table.
Free and easy test

You will need a latex glove and rubber band, or a balloon, or even a condom
Cold engine
Remove rad cap
Drain some coolant out so it is at least an inch or so below the rad cap opening
Remove overflow hose from rad and Block that port, gum, putty, vacuum cap, ???
Put latex glove over rad cap opening and seal it with rubber band(or put balloon or condom over rad cap opening)

Cooling system is now sealed and there should be no pressure in it or any way pressure can get in it :)

Unplug Coil Pack's 4 wire connector, you want a No Start/No spark

Crank engine and watch the Glove
If it starts to bounce/inflate you DO have a head gasket or cracked head issue, 100% accurate
Remove 1 spark plug at a time, and crank engine, when bouncing stops last spark plug removed was from the leaking cylinder, replace it to confirm.

If Glove does NOT bounce then move on to water pump

Since you have replaced fan clutch then it is a water pump problem.
You will find the impeller blades are worn down so it can't pump coolant fast enough at lower RPMs
Do NOT replace water pump without Glove Test, waste of money if you do

Each cylinder in the engine has 150+ PSI compression pressure when cranking, thats what makes the glove bounce it there is a leak
Each cylinder is surrounded by cooling chambers and passages to carry heat away, and the coolant passages pass thru the head gasket next to the metal ring that seals the head and block cylinders.
Blown head gasket means that metal ring has failed, and when it does the pressure INSIDE the cylinder will force its way out and usually into a cooling passage.
If engine is running this high pressure "air" is pushed into the head, "air" rises in coolant, this displaces the coolant, so forces some into OverFlow tank, it also does not "cool" like coolant does, so engine starts to heat up.
At higher RPMs the coolant flow can push the "air" out of the heads so cools the cylinders and "air' ends up at top of rad or heater hoses, no heat from heater at that point
When you slow down, lower RPMs, the "air" starts to collect in the heads and engine heats up

Last edited:

stuntman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info Ron D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals