• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wtf!!

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, well first off, ive read a few threads about HID conversions for headlights and stuff and have come to realize that quite a few of you are not fans of them at all, in fact you seem to hate them...well, its my truck and i like them so i decided to upgrade.
I recently installed 8000k headlights and fog lights in my truck. They worked great for a week or two then i began to have a problem. My drivers side fog light would only work every once in a while. If i pressed the fog light like 10 times, it would usually come on.:icon_confused: I might also add that we had just had our first snow so maybe some water was getting in a connection somewhere but im not sure. Has anyone else had an issue similar to this?
Also, for some reason my HID headlights only work when i turn my brights on. when my brights arent on, they just look like regular halogens. Did i hook something up wrong or do I need to get a different kind of bulb?
Like always, I'd appreciate any input(as long as its constructive)

Sam

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
the problem with most of the HIDs are that the ones that are affordable have cheaply made ballasts that fail quickly, which is probably the problem you are experiencing. ist normal for them to flicker for a few seconds while the ballasts are warming up, but they should both be on in under 60 seconds. what brand kit did you get?

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you need a relay kit for them!

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the problem with most of the HIDs are that the ones that are affordable have cheaply made ballasts that fail quickly, which is probably the problem you are experiencing. ist normal for them to flicker for a few seconds while the ballasts are warming up, but they should both be on in under 60 seconds. what brand kit did you get?
the lights do not flicker when turning on and they are full brightness after about 6-8 seconds
also, i cant remember what brand i bought, but im not gonna lie, i did buy a cheapo kit i.e. headlights and foglights shipped to my house for 175 total!!!
my lights seem to be working fine now

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any ideas why my HIDs only work on the high beam though???

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you might have your headlights wired wrong, Notice Red in the center, Black on the left, you could have the black on the wrong side, double check everything!

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
casper, that could be it...ill be checking it soon. Ill let you know. Thanks for the input.

Sam

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok just checked my wiring. my wires are connected correctly, black in the middle and red on the right....but i also have another red wire on the left side of the black wire. what is this for?

Sam

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you get high low HID's? And possibly get mixed bulbs and balasts? as in 2 way balast but only one beam bulbs?

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive figured it out. i got a cheap kit and will only have the hids on one beam. the way my wires are setup on my pinout, the hids will only come on for my high beams. my problem now is that i think i can get the hids to work as my low beam but i need to switch the wires on my pinout.
there is a red wire on the left which i believe is my low beam, then the ground in the middle, then my high beam on the right. if i switch the red wires, my hids will now work on my low beam....correct me if im wrong. but i tried to switch the wires but i cant figure how to get them out. they are like the picture on POST #7. i see that they have a little prong on them which is what holds them in place. i just cant figure out how to press that little prong down.

sorry about the lengthy post but these lights are kinda pissing me off lol

Sam

sr975j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bump

will switching the 2 red wires solve my problem??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals