• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 fuel set up

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently putting a 5.0 out of a 2001 explorer in my 94 ranger, along with the engine i am converting the truck to obd2 for tuning ease. I have larger fuel pump already because the truck used to be a supercharged 4.0. My issue is the 5.0 has a returnless fuel set up and my truck is set up for return. Can i simply not connect and cap the return line?

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can i simply not connect and cap the return line?
No, the pressure would go sky high until the pump failed. The Ex returnless systems have a 65PSI intank pressure regulator and a bypass to bleed off the extra fuel from the pump. You'll need to emulate that system somehow.

In this picture, you can see the black regulator halfway between the pump and the flange and the white dump hose coming from it.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It might be some work, but you can pull the entire fuel system off the exp and transplant it to the ranger, fuel lines and all. While your at it, use the exp fuel pump...
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
now on the 4.0 the rail had a pressure line and the regulator with the return fitting correct? cant i just put a regulator with a return on the 5.0?

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hello

Check out power block on spike tv. I think they had a show on how to fix your problem. I think it was on the 2011 Mustang when they super charged it.

igiveup

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
cant find anything on powerblock

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
now on the 4.0 the rail had a pressure line and the regulator with the return fitting correct? cant i just put a regulator with a return on the 5.0?
The 96~98 5.0 Explorer fuel rails and regulator will bolt on to a later 5.0 and should work with the Ranger fuel supply and return lines. For everything to work together, you'd also need things like the matching 96~98 PCM, engine harness, CMP sensor. If you're running an Ex 5.0 automatic trans, it and its harness would need to match the year of the PCM.

Fuel rails:

The first picture shows the flange mounted 96~98 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Return system, dual rails, supply and return lines.

The second picture shows the snap ring retained 99~2001 Fuel Pulse Damper
Returnless system, single rails, supply line only.

Bonus: Running the complete 96~97 5.0 Ex configuration (NOT 98) not only gives you return fuel but also eliminates the PATS headache. That would be my first choice for a 94.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to find a 96-97 explorer V8 donor truck, this is what I did and it was pretty much plug and play. For more info, check out my build thread, everything is described and shown in great detail in the first post
SVT

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Your best bet is to find a 96-97 explorer V8 donor truck, this is what I did and it was pretty much plug and play. For more info, check out my build thread, everything is described and shown in great detail in the first post
SVT
Remember also that with pre-95 trucks, there is/are different engine harness to body harness connectors, so there is some wiring to be done. No 42-pin connector on '94 and older.

The wiring is quite straightforward, however.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Remember also that with pre-95 trucks, there is/are different engine harness to body harness connectors, so there is some wiring to be done. No 42-pin connector on '94 and older.

The wiring is quite straightforward, however.
Yes I remember that one, but I remember he saying that was updating to OBDII, so I figured he was upgrading the wiring harness/dash anyways, and if he got a donor truck, he could take the dash and harness out of that same vehicle...But I did forget to mention that, like Teddy said, its 95+ that is plug and play :icon_thumby:
SVT

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Ya, not trying to correct you there...

As far as the OBDII port, I see no need to re-wire the dash. Just requires the diagnostic port be wired up. He could put it in the cab, or in the engine bay. I haven't done it (I went the other way), but I've looked at the wiring and seems easy enough.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with you there Teddy, I have not looked at the individual wiring circuit for the diagnostic port, depends on where and what it's hooked to, but like you say it can't be too hard :icon_thumby:
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well heres the scoop, my donar was a 2001 explorer, i have my truck gutted already, and have the entire wiring harness out of it. looks like my best bet would just be to get the explorer sending unit and fuel lines. the transmission i am running is a 98 m5r2, have not decided on transfer case yet i have both 1354 and 1356 cases.

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
looks like my best bet would just be to get the explorer sending unit and fuel lines.
Check how the intank unit mounts to the tank. I don't have both here to look at but I think that your Ranger flange could be very different from the Explorer's.

If that's the case, I would look into the possibility of transplanting the Explorer regulator and dump hose into the Ranger intank assembly, between the pump and the flange like in the picture.

There's a good chance that the existing Ranger supply line will match up to the 2001 Ex fuel rail. The return line won't be needed so it should be simple enough to block off the return port at the flange of the Ranger intank unit.

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my donar got crushed b4 i could grab the sending unit to gut, are the v6 explorer and rangers of any year returnless and produce the same psi?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals