• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Koty's 91 Ranger Build Thread

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stats as of now. 4.0 swap, fw d44 front axle, now shaved 7/8" and pushed forward 3-4", with 12" extended and wristed f150 arms. And a 31 spline ford 9" rear end, both from a 78 f150. Custom tracbar and transmission crossmember that routes over the driveshaft. 5.38 gears, full spool in the rear, open front, soon to be aussie'd. eb 5.5" progressive coils and toyota trail gear leafs with leaf hangers relocated to keep the rear end in the same location and custom made f150 coil buckets in the front. 3" body lift and rear shackles. Custom leaf pads. Soon to wear 38x14.5 tsl's. intake routed to the inner fender.

well i guess its about time i got to it. so here we go.

june of 2008: 91 ranger xlt 2.3 4wd bone stock.

it had been sitting in a field for about 3 yrs before i got to it. we convinced the previous owner into paying for the new fuel pump, fuel and air filter, plugs and wires, and new gas that it needed. got it running and talked the guy down to $500, and we were on our way.

it had a bad exhaust leak (you could stick a finger in the hole of the manifold), that that was first, along with fluid changes. we couldnt find a used manifold anywhere, until i found a 96 4cyl ranger engine. the manifold was made of steel rather than the heavy junk cast iron that was on the older ones. everything lined up. it had a male connection for the O2 sensor, so we cut it off, and welded a nut with the right sized threads to the manifold. only other difference was it didnt have anywhere for the egr valve to go, so we just directed the pipe behind the block.

november 12, 2008:

rear ended a honda crv, and the spare tire, pushed everything up in the middle. police made me have it towed. went to the tow company, paid $200 and drove it home, not even 0.75 miles away:annoyed:

january of 2009 i bought a 91 explorer with 200k miles on it for parts. it had been sitting for 2 yrs, and talked an older lady down to $300 for it.

started replacing body parts

began to get into offroading

replacing the clutch

so i guess by this time it was about time to start lifting it. i bought a skyjacker 4" suspension lift

then added a bodylift and new body bushings

now its time for some new meat under it! 33x12.50 dick cepek crushers mounted on 15x10 rock crawler wheels
out with the old, in with the new!

and that leaves us to where we are right now. more to come (slowly).

Last edited:

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
sweet ride man!

jhammel85

Very, very nice. Looks like you've been doing a good job w/ it.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wheeling pics with new tires?

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sweet truck i bet that thing hates those 33s

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys. its a 3" bl, the 4 popper doesnt do great with the tires, but its not terrible either. and no wheeling pics with the new tires. most of the trails around here get gated and chained off during winter. might get some poser shots in a week or two just to look at how it does

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
today i found out that the crushers do really well in snow. well at least better than 1/2 and 1/4 tread bfg at's i had on it last winter haha

anyways my front end joint need replacing badly. still hung up on spending the money on fixing it or swapping the axles.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
i like where this is headed!

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well im hoping to go to a good pick n pull about 2hrs away this weekend. hopefully i can score a manual tcase and some stock manual hubs to last me until i get my shiz together to start swapping everything.

ill probably put the stock tires back on for the trip if i go. i hate having to floor it in 4th just to keep it at 60-65

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so when i do an axle swap ive decided this will be the doner instead of buying axles:

Last edited:

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
went to the pick and pull today. i couldnt find any stock hubs or manual tcase. but they were having a deal where anything that you could carry for 10yrds only cost $65 plus tax and core charge. so i got the whole front end for an explorer-hood, lights, 2 grilles, bumper, clip and fender in one trip. tied it all together and strapped it to my back.

then went back and pulled an 8.8 from a 92 explorer and carried that so that was another $65!!!! wahoooo!.

plus im selling the fender to some guy for $40. so after that its like i only paid $120 for the axle and the whole front clip!

ill have pics of the stuff later. the front clip is gonna go on the explorer that i bought for parts. gonna get it looking decent again.

Last edited:

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a really cool promo they were running
yeah man i think they only do it like once or twice a yr. they had guys strong-arming engines and everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals