• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS with leafs

that_one_guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So im looking into getting a built d44 from a wagoneer that is all set up for leafs. Is it going to be more efficient to do leafs or stay coils. Im wanting to run 35s with a low cg. I do alot of snow wheelin and trails. My truck is a 97 extended cab btw. Any opinions and help would be great.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the axle is setup for leaves then it will probably be easier to do a leaf sprung SAS.

Don't know if it helps, but here is mine.....I really need to put together a build thread.
With the shackles in front you get a lot of bump steer, in my case it was so bad it threw it into a death wobble. If the truck is going to see much pavement I suggest a rear shackle setup, but if its a trail only truck it really doesn't make any difference.

Here is mine

What are you trying to accomplish? A full blown crawler? Mild SAS build? How much lift? What size tires? Are you dead set on leaf springs or would coils be better for what you want to do?

-Jester
I just copied these CLICK, then welded them to some 1/4" plate to mount them outboard of the frame, then welded some 1/4" gussets to the frame. My shackles are made out of 3/8" strap, and the holes are 4.5" on center.

For the front I used a piece of 2x4 1/4" wall tube for the cross member and some 3.5" OD 1/4" wall square tube to make the hangers. I made all my cuts with a 4.5" grinder.

I used Rancho 44150 springs with one medium length add-a-leaf, spring rate of 250lbs. If I remember right they are 4" lift rear jeep wrangler springs. They were laying around my dads shop and he said I could have them, so thats what I used . Without the add-a-leaf they were too soft and were almost flat at ride height. Over all my suspension is about 8" of lift.

I think your are a little ambitious to try and do a SAS in a weekend but if you plan right and have everything ready to go it might be possible. It took me 3 months(weekends only)to do mine, but mine fought me every step of the way.

-Jester

-Jester

that_one_guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the great pictures man! Those helped alot. Just trying to see how everyone is mounting spring hangers. Sweet lookin b2 btw too.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i say leafs, much simpler, flexes just as good, less complicated, cheaper

i'm not planning on it, but if i ever SAS my b2 (or any vehicle) i'll do leafs

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had leafs on my 93 at first. It flexed great but ended up trashing the leafs pretty fast. I was able to keep the truck a bit lower as well.

I ended up changing to a 3 link. It sits about an inch higher then before with about 6" of up travel. I can still fit under a 7' garage door with 37s so it still isn't super tall. I get pretty much the same amount of travel as before but it rides a whole lot better now.

jmidd2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what exactly is the second diagram? and can i get some more info on the rear mount? it looks like a piece of square tube with a notch for 1/4 wall pipe ? i kno im probably a little slow or just over thinkin this.. and on the front it looks like theres a piece of 2x4 behind the front one with 45* edges:icon_confused: ?

Last edited:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
what exactly is the second diagram? and can i get some more info on the rear mount? it looks like a piece of square tube with a notch for 1/4 wall pipe ? i kno im probably a little slow or just over thinkin this.. and on the front it looks like theres a piece of 2x4 behind the front one with 45* edges:icon_confused: ?
For your rear mount may want to look into Ruffs stuff outrigger mount. I have them on mine and you can get their shackel mount their too. For my front i went a mount fron Skys off road.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get mounts for the rear cheaper than ruffstuff however I have their mounts that I plan on using in the front.

The 3 link is easy to do and I notice alot of guys here have done it. Leafs are even easier though and as mentioned before they're alot cheaper. Both have pro's and con's you just have to make a personal decision on which way you want to go.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

jmidd2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 87 ranger . i decided leafs up front . i have some 4" lift leafs from a 86 chevy short wide . im just trying to find the easiest and best way to mount them . i dont really need a bunch of flex im from oklahoma.. wer not known for mountains lol and the 325lbs spring rate will help wen i swap to a 5.0 . thanks for the help ill check out ruff stuff n probably copy some brackets . im just gona make sure my rig aint on the "wat not to do list " or look all hacked up.

jmidd2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ford78
nice build! looks like a real clean set up. if u culd put up a couple close pics of your rear mount with some deminsions it would ba appriciated .

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
ford78
nice build! looks like a real clean set up. if u culd put up a couple close pics of your rear mount with some deminsions it would ba appriciated .
Thanks, heres a pic of my rear mount

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is a badass rear mount. I plan on changing mine up in the future.
To the op I did my swap (dana30) leaf springs start to finish less than 10 hours. Very simple in my opinion
Here's how mine sits with 33s

jmidd2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok .. riddle me this.. why is everyones leaf springs mountd out side the frame rails? is it bc the fw axles?

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a dana 30 from a yj and kept it spring under using rancho 44044 springs( 2.5" lift wagoneer) along with liquid iron sliders mounted in the front instead of shackles and ended up with 0 lift but looking for 2" more lift due to only having 2 inches of up travel before my steering hits the pitman arm.
Ranger is on 35's and even with my runner that is stock

Flex

Ride height with spring over axle(to tall for my liking)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals