• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l firing problem

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 1986 2.3l and it want run it will only crank. i checked everything.All the plugs were full of gas when i pulled them out and i then turned it over to see if am getting fire i am.But the plugs are filing out becuase the gas.When i put went to put them back in the plug hole was covered in gas and the plugs are only getting a weak yellow spark.so what is giving me the weak flame.and whats putting so much gas on the plugs a bad fuel injecter?and what can cause me to get a weak flame at the plugs something bad in distributor cause i get a blue spark at the coil.

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the cap and rotor, and measured the resistance of the plug wires?

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am with ^^^^^ this guy. Probably should just check your cap and rotor. Check to see if they are oxidized too. While you are at it, you should make sure the plugs have the right gap.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the cap and rotor, and measured the resistance of the plug wires?
the cap and rotor and distributor are all new and how do you check for resistance?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I am with ^^^^^ this guy. Probably should just check your cap and rotor. Check to see if they are oxidized too. While you are at it, you should make sure the plugs have the right gap.
how to check if there oxidized? what would they look like?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Today i got in the distributor and everything is good i got one question though for timing i got the crankshaft lined up with the motor but doesnt the rotor button suppose to be lined up right behined the number one spark plug?And another question if it is out of time could that give me a weak spark at the plugs?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
i got the crankshaft lined up right and still didnt crank how can i check and see if the camshaft is in time took the cover off and didnt see any marks anyone know where they are?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone tell me where the timing marks or show me a diagram or picture of where the timing marks are on the camshaft sprocket so i can make sure everything is in time?Please help me.

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could just google it. I haven't had the cover off in a long time, but there should be an inspection plug on the front of the cover that will show you where the timing mark should be. Maybe this will help

I just realized how big that picture is... and it isn't my photobucket either.

As for the oxidation, it will have buildup on the little pickups. But if they are new, it probably isn't an issue.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
You could just google it. I haven't had the cover off in a long time, but there should be an inspection plug on the front of the cover that will show you where the timing mark should be. Maybe this will help

As for the oxidation, it will have buildup on the little pickups. But if they are new, it probably isn't an issue.
Hey man thanks alot for the picture i really needed it and the plugs dont have anything on them but gas thats why i was just making sure everything is in time.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic

Well i went to look for the timing marks and i dont have a inner timing belt cover it is broke off so can i buy a new one and where would i get one at?owould i have to get a used one at a junkyard or something?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
do i need to line up the oil pump sprocket? or can i just line up the camshaft and crankshaft?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals