Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > Alternative Fuels & Energy

Notices

Alternative Fuels & Energy For discussing topics such as ethanol, hydrogen, biodiesel, propane, natural gas, solar, electric, etc.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
BlueChariot

Vehicle Year: '94
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000
I use this vehicle for: everything
BlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really nice
Default A bit of a fantasy, but...

I had a thought whilest enjoying some beer that I wouldnt mind trying to power an old fullsize truck for cruising around in the flat rocky bits of desert like in Nevada. BUT I had the idea to make it steam powered. Steam engines are simple, and effective. I genuinely don't think it'd be difficult to adapt it into a truck. The only annoying part would be to hook it to a transmission.

It'd have poor acceleration, but I don't see why it's not possible. Thoughts?

Can't wait to start back to school soon. Gonna earn my living welding. I can see lots of fabricating in my future.
BlueChariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Original_Ranger84

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Project, DD
Original_Ranger84 is a jewel in the roughOriginal_Ranger84 is a jewel in the roughOriginal_Ranger84 is a jewel in the rough

Why not just do water injection on the engine in the truck? It squirts in a little water in the cylinder right before it fires or after and turns...explodes into steam which helps alot in power and economy. My old auto shop teacher did it to his Geo Metro 3 banger and was pulling off about 65mpg... and then he had a 460 ford that got 5mpgs.. lol
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
"Tall Trucks, Small trucks, whos got the balls to roll with our trucks?"
Original_Ranger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
7.5L_STX

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab STX
I use this vehicle for: Lawn Ornament....
7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold7.5L_STX is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Ranger84 View Post
Why not just do water injection on the engine in the truck? It squirts in a little water in the cylinder right before it fires or after and turns...explodes into steam which helps alot in power and economy. My old auto shop teacher did it to his Geo Metro 3 banger and was pulling off about 65mpg... and then he had a 460 ford that got 5mpgs.. lol

i bet that top end was clean as hell too! is it possible on any motor? or does it cost a butt ton of monney to set something like that up? i know diesels have kits, but i didnt know it would work in a gas engine.

My Ranger Is Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_smokeater View Post
what the hell you think your doing ya dang yooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
What is "facebook"?
7.5L_STX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
BlueChariot

BlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really niceBlueChariot is just really nice

I like the idea of water injection, but it's missing the point of this. I'm talkin about what is essentially a stemship for rocky desert land. The sheer cool fact and the simplicity of implimentation are very appealing to me, as opposed to doing something that alot of other people do to internal combustion engines.

Also figured out a way to drive it from the bed Ship style with a wheel and everything.

Can't wait to start back to school soon. Gonna earn my living welding. I can see lots of fabricating in my future.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
3.0ranger1227

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: DD, playing in the sand
3.0ranger1227 will become famous soon enough3.0ranger1227 will become famous soon enough

To the OP, I think the Steam would be pretty cool, at least as a novelty thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
i bet that top end was clean as hell too! is it possible on any motor? or does it cost a butt ton of monney to set something like that up? i know diesels have kits, but i didnt know it would work in a gas engine.
You're thinking of a water methanol injection system. Designed to cool the intake charge to prevent detonation under high boost/advanced timing/etc. It does work and is super simple to setup a primitive but effective system. All you have to do is run your windshield washer fluid to your intake and make it a constant on. Same liquid(assuming you're not using the bug guard stuff with additives), already in your truck with a pump and everything. It gets used a lot on high boost race applications, gas and diesel.

I'm not sure about what Original_Ranger was talking about, as that sounds fairly complicated but also like you're just using steam instead of more gas to expand in the cylinder faster.
3.0ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
BlueChariot

The novetly of it is what I'm aiming for with this idea. Obviously it wouldn't be street legal. The first types of cars were powered by steam after all.

I think Henry Ford would like the idea.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
cammeddrz

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford/chevy
Vehicle Model: Bronco II with 2000 front clip
cammeddrz is a jewel in the roughcammeddrz is a jewel in the roughcammeddrz is a jewel in the roughcammeddrz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0ranger1227 View Post
You're thinking of a water methanol injection system. Designed to cool the intake charge to prevent detonation under high boost/advanced timing/etc.
you're both right........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crower_six_stroke

water injection can work to prevent pre-ignition
and it can work by expanding into steam to create a power-stroke
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
stmitch
March 2011 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Surprising people
stmitch has a spectacular aura aboutstmitch has a spectacular aura aboutstmitch has a spectacular aura about

What would you power this steam engine with? Coal? Wood? Use the current engine to heat the water?
stmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
FlyinRyan

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: B2500 SX
I use this vehicle for: Anything and Everything
FlyinRyan is on a distinguished road

A cool idea but the issue is control, as you mentioned earlier.

Creating steam means you need an abundance of water and heat... hope you're towing a mighty big trailer Second to that is control of flow and thus power. Steam is doing the mechanical work by expanding and releasing heat - two things very difficult to control, ask any HVAC designer.

If you really want to blow some peoples socks off pump that steam through a turbine! Again, you're going to run into some issues with creating the steam, but tiny turbines are incredibly powerful and are easy to control because you will just throttle the steam. The only downside is that turbines are rediculously expensive to build, and even more so to build small. The problem is that the turbine blades get too small to cool properly and you end up with a spinning time bomb that will shred everything in sight once the tiny blades fail.

If you really want the fastest RBV in the world go design a material that stays cool and doesn't expand when heated and cooled in cycles!

Until then...
FlyinRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
BlueChariot

It's not a about steam, think about steampunk stuff.

I would created the heat using propane flames, and it would have a big water tank with asump and some sort of condensing system to return some water back into the tank.

Listen, people make miniature steam powered trains all the time, I'm simpley talking about bringing it into the medium scale between the small and the actual trains.