Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > 4WD Systems

4WD Systems Transfer Cases & Locking Hubs.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
muddin76

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger supercab 4X4
muddin76 is on a distinguished road
Default warn locking hubs not locking

I have a 96 ranger 4x4. The manual warn locking hubs lock when I jack up the front end and spin the tire, its locked, but today I got stuck because my fornt wheels would not pull at all. It was like I was only in 2 wheel drive, I had low range power but only rear wheels moving. Later on down the road I went to 4hi and could feel the front pull to the left a bit then it freed up again. Its like when the front end is under pressure it frees the wheels, but when I jack up the front end and lock the hubs the front drive shaft is turning & when put into 4 wheel, I cant turn the wheels by hand, the transfer case has the front end locked in.Wont lock while driving but in the air it works. Is it possible to spin locking hubs? I hear about auto hubs having trouble , but never hear of manual hub trouble, or could this be something else ?

Last edited by muddin76; 02-16-2008 at 07:09 PM.
muddin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Evan

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer Sport
I use this vehicle for: Wheelin
Evan is on a distinguished road

I guess it would be possible to "spin" a manual hub, if you rounded off the aluminum splines on the inside of the hub. But that would take a lot of force and almost always split the casing apart.

I have had manual hubs behave strangely before, and to fix them I took apart the hub and cleaned/regreased everything.

You can take the hubs apart and verify that everything is working ok. You'll need rags, brake parts cleaner, and a basic tool set.

It could also be a problem with your transfer case....

2009 Chevy Aveo 5-door LS: 5-speed, DD
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
alaskan155

Vehicle Year: 2002 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F250 and Bronco
I use this vehicle for: dd/toy
alaskan155 is on a distinguished road

maybe engagment spring is worn out, remember seeing a spring last time i remove manual hubs(off dana 44 though)
3" body lift
tt and 2" shackle
35" mt/r
exploder buckets/rear seat delete.
12k badlands winch
DD: 02 f250 7.3 CCLB 4x4
alaskan155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
maybe engagment spring is worn out, remember seeing a spring last time i remove manual hubs(off dana 44 though)

There are two springs in a D35 Warn hub, but they generally don't wear out. What can happen however is the outer collar can get dirty, iced up, or dig into the splines of the housing, and the outer spring doesn't have enough power to engage the hub. When you twist a hub to lock it in, you don't have direct mechanical control of the components. You're compressing the outer spring which is supposed to press on the outer collar and move it inward. Then when you unlock the hub, the load is taken off that outer spring and a smaller, inner spring forces the collar outward to an unlocked position.

This is how I remember it anyway. But the best thing to do it take both hubs off and check them out.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
muddin76

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger supercab 4X4
muddin76 is on a distinguished road
Question Warn manual locking hubs, wont hold...

I have a 96 ranger 4x4. The manual warn locking hubs lock when I jack up the front end and spin the tire, its locked, but today I got stuck because my fornt wheels would not pull at all. It was like I was only in 2 wheel drive, I had low range power but only rear wheels moving. Later on down the road I went to 4hi and could feel the front pull to the left a bit then it freed up again. Its like when the front end is under pressure it frees the wheels, but when I jack up the front end and lock the hubs the front drive shaft is turning & when put into 4 wheel, I cant turn the wheels by hand, the transfer case has the front end locked in.Wont lock while driving but in the air it works. Is it possible to spin locking hubs? I hear about auto hubs having trouble , but never hear of manual hub trouble, or could this be something else ?
muddin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
mkpecor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: ranger 4x4
Vehicle Model: super cab,st-x
I use this vehicle for: daily driver and weekend wheeler
mkpecor is on a distinguished road

take the hubs apart and clean them with brake cleaner and regrease all the moveing parts and see if that helps, remember to much grease is not good.
88 ranger super cab st-x-throtle body ,cold air intake, 92 explorer D35/LS 8.8 swap, 6" SK susp..lift ,black crawler rims,33" swompers,warn lock out hubs,manual t-case swap, smitty built bumpers, rock sliders,kc lights,cb ,hi lift jack,cooler full of beer
mkpecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

How can you possibly put too much grease in a manual hub?

They aren't very hard to disassemble, and that will show if there are any hangup issues or somesuch.

However, FIRST, lock both the hubs, put the transfer case in 2WD, and raise the front of the vehicle (onto jackstands). Climb under the truck and turn the front driveshaft by hand. Does one or both front wheels turn? If so, the hubs (and front differential) are fine.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKG View Post
How can you possibly put too much grease in a manual hub?

Maybe if you really globbed grease in there (fill entire hub to brim), it would cause enough resistance to stop the outer spring from pushing the collar in and engaging. You'd almost have to try to overgrease, and even then your chances wouldn't be good.