Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
rab

Vehicle Year: 87
Vehicle Make: merkur
Vehicle Model: xr4ti
rab is on a distinguished road
Default non tach cluster to tach cluster 83 ranger

1st off im new to the ranger.
i have a 83 ranger carbed 2.0 4 speed 2wd and it has a non tach cluster in it, i want to install a stock tach cluster from the same era in it.

i will be doing a 2.3 efi turbo swap into it.
im unsure if i will use a efi ranger harness or the merkur harness, and will just hard wire the powers,fuel pump and grounds.

i wont be doing the efi turbo swap untill next spring,but would like to find a tach cluster and swap it in now.

so what years had a stock tach cluster that matches my truck, ie 80's style,?

will there be any extra wiring i have to do?

is it better to swap the whole cluster, or just swap the tach part to mine, i would think the whole cluster?

Last edited by rab; 09-30-2011 at 11:49 PM.
rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Click HERE to vote for the Mini Truck Of The Month

Click HERE to vote for the Off-Road Truck Of The Month.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
inuyasha2875

Vehicle Year: 1983,1986
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER 4X4 BRONCO II RANGER EX CAB 2WD
I use this vehicle for: everything
inuyasha2875 is on a distinguished road

i've looked at tring the cluster swap but the wireing harness is diferent for the two clusters
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
rab

has anyone done this?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

You will have to repin the connector for the tach side of the cluster or swap dash harnesses.

I am saving mine for a winter project, but there is a thread going on it. Since you won't be running a V8 forget the part about jumping the two poles. Not sure how to make a V6 tach read for a four cylinder though...

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=113129

Clusters that fit came in trucks 86-88.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
kaytbugsdad

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: mainly putting around town
kaytbugsdad is on a distinguished road

I have a turbo swap done already on my truck, and just swapped in a factory tach from a 4 cylinder truck, repinned the gauge connector on the backside of my cluster....... Everything works as it should, except for the tach. I have an aftermarket gauge in my truck already (which tested accurate), when the aftermarket gauge is reading 2500 rpm, my factory tach is only reading 1750 rpm....... Not sure if I missed something when I wired it up (resistor or something like that)?

My truck's life started as an ugly little red truck...... now it's a LOWERED ugly little red truck!!!!
kaytbugsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
rab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytbugsdad View Post
I have a turbo swap done already on my truck, and just swapped in a factory tach from a 4 cylinder truck, repinned the gauge connector on the backside of my cluster....... Everything works as it should, except for the tach. I have an aftermarket gauge in my truck already (which tested accurate), when the aftermarket gauge is reading 2500 rpm, my factory tach is only reading 1750 rpm....... Not sure if I missed something when I wired it up (resistor or something like that)?
were is this info on the pinouts of the cluster?
so there were factory 6 and 4 cyl tach clusters?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
kaytbugsdad

I'm not sure...... I would have to say yes, though. I have a tach from a 6 cylinder and a 4 cylinder, and the 2 circuit boards are different, even though the part number for the tach face is the same...... I have had both tachs in my truck already, and they both are operating in the same way (2500 on timing light tach is reading 1750 on dash)...... I was at the wrecking yard one day and took two dashboards apart (one no tach, one with tach), and traced the wiring down, drew pics of both connectors, and re-pinned the connector in my truck (originally no tach) to match the connector in the truck that had a tach.......

My truck's life started as an ugly little red truck...... now it's a LOWERED ugly little red truck!!!!

Last edited by kaytbugsdad; 10-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
kaytbugsdad

Found a wiring diagram that shows a resistor in the wire to the tach....... Gonna go find one, I'll let you know if that does the trick or not!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytbugsdad View Post
Found a wiring diagram that shows a resistor in the wire to the tach....... Gonna go find one, I'll let you know if that does the trick or not!
Keep us posted.

An article in the library on the finer points of switching between no tach and tach would be awesome... people gotta experiment with it first though.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
kaytbugsdad

Went and found a resistor for my truck..... Didn't change anything!!! Guess I'm gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way..... Talk to someone who works with electrical stuff!!!! I'm not good with figuring out how resistors work, but my dad is an electronics technician, he'll know what size resistor I have and what size I need to replace it with!!!