• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help? Front Axle Swap for Bronco II

kwanner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

My name is Kevin. I live in the Cincinnati area and I own an '86 Bronco II.

I am having problems with my 4 wheel drive on my Bronco II. It seems when ever I get out and lock in the hubs, back up about 8 feet then start forward my left front wheel seems to be locking normal, and spinning as it should, but the passenger front wheel seems like it is binding up.? it makes the steering in 4x4 mode rear erratic. Again I have a manual locking setup.

I was thinking of investing in the "WARN" high quality hubs, or even doing a swap with the '76 - '77 full size Bronco axles, but I dont want to change my bolt pattern. I have new wheels and tires, so I dont want to loos out.

Is there another axle combo I could use in the front? Maybe something like a 89 to 94 jeep cherokee sport front axle.

again please point me in the right direction, this is a typical low cost / budget build - repair.

Thanks Kevin

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
A D35 TTB axle out of a 90-94 explorer or 90s rangers up to and including 1997 will bolt right in.

kwanner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
That is a straight axle?

kwanner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I thought that the explorers had the same set up as my bronco II

kwanner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I am not up on the axle lingo. A D35 TTB?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought that the explorers had the same set up as my bronco II

thats a negative, the BII has a d28 up front, the explorer has a d35 up front, still a TTB setup but a signifigantly stronger axle, known to hold 35's with little/no issues

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats a negative, the BII has a d28 up front, the explorer has a d35 up front, still a TTB setup but a signifigantly stronger axle, known to hold 35's with little/no issues
actually,it is about the same setup,but the d35 is a much beefier setup altho the same style its much stronger
and you keep the same bolt pattern
or you sould swap in a dana 30 out of a jeep.also same lug pattern,but a solid axel

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
TTB= twin traction beams

D28 = dana 28

d35= dana 35

if your on a budget and want a 99% bolt in upgrade, the d35 is a good choice. I belive you will need to shorten your front drive shaft a tad.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What are your intentions for your BII? You plan on lifting it and putting bigger tires on? Or do you just want to fix the problem you have now?

If it's the latter (and you're running stock size tires), there's probably no need for an axle swap, I would take a look at your stock setup and see where the problem is (chances are its something small like the spindle needle bearings, or axleshaft u-joints).

If you ARE thinking of upgrading, then as said, the D35 axle is by far the most practical swap. It is actually a stronger axle than the '76-'77 Bronco axle you mentioned, it has much larger u-joints, and is hi-pinion (same can be said for the 8.8" rear out of an Explorer vs. the Bronco 9", the shafts are bigger).

kwanner1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
4x4junkie & LIL Red - Hey, Thanks for the information on both parts. I am interested in the solid axle swap from the jeep I think. I will be using this as a daily driver with the thought of training wheel s if you will. I would like to learn some off road capabilities and how the suspension works, drives and feels with the solid axle. Even though the Jeep dana 30 may no be the strongest out there I thing it would be more than enough for me at this point.

What recomendatons would there be for me to research this swap? and where could I go to get how to info?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
There have been a couple threads discussing swapping in D30s. Check in the "Extreme Suspension" forum or do a search and you should find some good info on how to do it, and what axle to look for.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
4x4junkie & LIL Red - Hey, Thanks for the information on both parts. I am interested in the solid axle swap from the jeep I think. I will be using this as a daily driver with the thought of training wheel s if you will. I would like to learn some off road capabilities and how the suspension works, drives and feels with the solid axle. Even though the Jeep dana 30 may no be the strongest out there I thing it would be more than enough for me at this point.

What recomendatons would there be for me to research this swap? and where could I go to get how to info?
For your use a D35 would be a really good option, it uses the same joints as a D44... Really, the only thing wrong with your's is the POS auto hubs. Go to a junkyard and grab a set of manual hubs and wheel bearing nuts for like $20 and you'll be good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals