Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'boneshaker'
March 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'one'
March 2014 MTOTM

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
tjbushey

tjbushey is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug issue 4.0L ranger

Hello, i got a 2003 ford ranger xlt 4.0L and i did a spark plug change, got spark plugs from Ford Dealership AGSF34FP, says under my good 54" gap but the AGFS34FP is 65" gap what is the deal? did i need to gap the factory plug for the truck to the correct size?

Also i installed the plugs anyway, some reason there is now a ticking sound, so i replaced the wires thinking they might be broken after installing plugs but the ticking noise is still there and its pretty darn loud, also took them back out to make sure they were seated properly.

Thanks any help is great help at this time
tjbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & show your support? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Share it HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
06RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Extended Cab
I use this vehicle for: Shenanigans
06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of

yea set the gaps. the ticking is most likely preignition or "pinging"
Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Rolled Ranger

Vehicle Year: '91
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Rolled Ranger is on a distinguished road

Always set the gap. Most spark plugs do not come pre gapped. A little while back I saw the parts guy at work ask someone if he wanted his spark plugs pre gapped. After the guy said "Sure" he banged them on the counter a few times and said "There you go, gapped to zero. Always check the gap".
Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
tjbushey

thanks for the help guys, ill get right on gaping them, anyway how to get rid of the " pinging " when i 1st start the vehicle it doesnt do it untill its fully warmed up then i hear it , also someone said the spark plugs might be ungapable? how do i know if its ungapable?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
adsm08
I like Oreos

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbushey View Post
thanks for the help guys, ill get right on gaping them, anyway how to get rid of the " pinging " when i 1st start the vehicle it doesnt do it untill its fully warmed up then i hear it , also someone said the spark plugs might be ungapable? how do i know if its ungapable?

You know they are ungappable if you bought the shitty snake-oil multi tipped ones, or if they are a "bridged" design like the 5.4 uses.

Any Motorcraft plug for the 4.0 should be gappable. And you always have to set the gap because they get banged around during shipping and the electrodes move.

As for the noise are you sure they are all in tightly, no wires are crossed, and you don't have an exhaust leak?

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
tjbushey

hey there, thanks for the tips, yea some of the wires are crossing each other but the stock ones were as well, im gonna take them out and gap them to the correct size.

Ill let you know a update
Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
adsm08
I like Oreos

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

Not crossed as in crossing over each other. Crossed as in hooked up from the wrong coil terminal to the wrong plug.

Quote:
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
tjbushey

oh i see, no shouldn't be, i did 1 wire at a time to make sure i didnt get them mixed up. Ill double check everything tomorrow and after i Gap them, and ill try to pinpoint where the ticking is coming from.

also truck feels like it has less power and sluggish but probaly has to do with the gap.

Ill put updates tomorrow

Thanks again
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
adsm08
I like Oreos

Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbushey View Post
oh i see, no shouldn't be, i did 1 wire at a time to make sure i didnt get them mixed up.
That's a good practice, but believe it or not, I've seen wires get mixed up even with that.

If it's not missing at all then you should be ok. Get your plug gaps set right at see how that works. Try to get them as close to the low end of the range as you can since the gap will open up a bit as they wear.

Quote:

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
tjbushey

will do! ill find a firing order chart to and double check the wires