Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Bulletins (Welcome, News/Announcements, Problems & Submissions) > Submit Info For Technical Articles

Submit Info For Technical Articles Submit all your technical information or stories here to be added to our Technical Library

DO NOT POST TECH QUESTIONS HERE!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Python86

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Custom
I use this vehicle for: Goofing off
Python86 is on a distinguished road
Default Easy rear lift for cheap

I've seen and heard many opinions and ideas on how to lift the rear end of a ranger for cheap including combining leaf springs, swapping to explorer leafs (not much lift to be had there by the way) and of all things putting 64" chevy leafs (ugh!)

When I installed my 4" Rough Country lift kit and put those 3" blocks under my rear it still sat lower than the front and I wasn't pleased with the amount of axle wrap I was getting.

I was told by a friend of a buddy of mine that f-150 leafs would work because a buddy of his tried it once and it seemed to fit so with this ever-so-reliable information I went to my local bone yard armed with my tape measure and a mountain of doubt to find out if it was possible and to my surprise they seemed to be the right size to bolt into the stock hangers on my Ranger.

I took my leaf springs out of a '94 F-150 and kept the whole spring packs intact. I was installing them on my '89 Ranger and the only difficulty I had putting them in was *EDIT*the mounting points are a little closer together on the 150 than on the Ranger*EDIT* and so with the help of my brother we used a ratchet strap to pull the end of the leaf spring out to the shackle until they were the right length then just slipped the bolts through and did them up. The only other work required is either getting shorter U-bolts made or getting the u-bolts and plates from the f-150 you are stealing the leafs from. *NOTE* the u-bolts from an f-150 will be the proper width for an 8.8" axle. If you have the 7.5" you can use them though I don't recommend it because they will be a very loose fit around your axle housing. The F-150 U-bolts are thicker and beefier looking than the ones on the explorer so I recommend them in any case.

Did this mod help and would I recommend it?
Yes and yes. I recommend this to everyone I meet who owns a ranger. You can get away with using your stock ranger u-bolts and plates and block and you will have yourself a rear end lift for less than 60 bucks. The end result for me was about 6" of lift which was enough that I could take not only the lift blocks out but the stock ranger blocks as well and have the leafs sit right on the axle. When combined with the belltech 6400 shackles I can tuck my 33's right up into my bed so far that they touch the top of the wheel well. I have also had over 1600 lbs (weighed on a highway scale) in the back with just minor sag.

I have included before and after pictures of the swap as well as a picture of the arc of the leaf springs installed

I hope this article is helpful to someone else and if this needs any editing or clarification just let me know and i'll try to clean it up a bit.

Also I think this would be a great idea to get posted in the Tech Library section of the site as explorer leafs and chevy leafs are both there which are neither as effective or as easy a swap to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	6137  

Name:	IMG_2009.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	6138  

Name:	IMG_1030.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	6139  

Exploder 8.8" rear with Trak-Lock again
33" BFG muds

Last edited by Python86; 10-29-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Mistake
Python86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Heavyfire14

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F150
I use this vehicle for: DD/Fun
Heavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the rough

um... you should probelly move the mount further so uou dont have to use a rachet strap to put the spring. the shackel moves freely because when the leaf pack compresses it gets "longer". if you dont move it you might break something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_Eddie View Post
yeah it does. my wife and i have a 15th century battle axe suspended over our bed with it

2002 mazda b2300 ext. Cab 2.3l 5 speed

Build Thread
Heavyfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Python86

I've been running this setup since January and haven't had any problems with breakage or even bending. And the 150 leafs pull the shackles in on the ranger so I actually get more flex out of the shackles when I compress because there's farther for them to move. But i'll keep it in mind and keep an eye on it
33" BFG muds
Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
hockeyryan

Vehicle Year: 1990 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: looking pretty in the shop & dd/trails
hockeyryan is on a distinguished road

hey nice write up. do you think it would be possible to come and look at your set up one day. i just live in vancouver/ladner. and how is the ride? stiff?

thanks
hockeyryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
06RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Extended Cab
I use this vehicle for: Shenanigans
06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of06RangerXLT has much to be proud of

im going to guess this will work great for yours, but not mine. something about preforcing a leaf into place before any weight spells trouble. hope you remember that if you even take them out!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Python86

HockeyRyan The ride is actually softer than before and I get much more flex out of my rear end. You can come look at the setup sometime, my work schedule is a little crazy so pm me your number and I'll call you

As far as forcing the leaf spring into position I realized why people were commenting and I made a mistake in the article. The mounting points are closer together on the F-150 by about an inch and a half so we just had to pull the end of the leaf spring out to meet the shackle. If I had cut my brackets and moved them in I could get another couple of lift out of them
I've removed and reinstalled the leafs several times since and getting them back in is quite easy
33" BFG muds
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Python86

Here's what the F-150 spring looked like compared to the Ranger hangars and shackle. Sort of. My art isn't that great so ignore the exaggerated gap between the leaf and the shackle but that's what I meant
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leaf spring.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	6161  

33" BFG muds
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Vanner1993

Vehicle Year: 1983, 1977
Vehicle Model: Bronco,F250
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver/Mud
Vanner1993 is on a distinguished road

So if these were bolted up, the shackle would reach the rear spring hole?
1990 Ford Bronco SAS 38s, 302, ZF5, 93 clip RIP
Vanner1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

The leafs come out of a 2x4 or 4x4 f-150?

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
swtjames23

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: huntin, fishin, dump runs, parkin on curbs, etc.
swtjames23 is on a distinguished road

So let's say these F150 springs were used with belltech 6400's:

1. Would they bolt in without the need for a ratchet-strap stretching apparatus?

2. How much lift would it achieve?