Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
JSL

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT
JSL is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Transmission Fluid Change and now?...won't shift gears! HELP

1999 Ford Ranger XLT, V6 3.0L Automatic - I performed a transmission fluid change today and when starting vehicle to back off ramps the truck would not shift into reverse or any other gear. What could I have done wrong when removing pan and old filter, then replacing with new filter and bolting pan back on? I have not put any fluid in yet. I reset PCM by removing negative post connector for 20 minutes on battery, nothing. Please help! Thanks, Jennier
JSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

Seriously?

No fluid in an automatic transmission means it will not move. Stop trying to drive it without fluid in it, you will burn it up.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
kryptonitecb

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, trail ready
kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

You probably already burned something up just by trying to move it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic
kryptonitecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

OUCH, How did you check fluid level while unlevel on ramps, is there an APP for that?

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Add atf until it reaches just above the full mark then start it set the ebrake and shift into neutral then check it again running in neutral. You dont want to overfill and as the tranny warms up the fluid will expand so keep it just below full for a bit then take it for a road trip. after about half hour of running it check that the level is full once again running in neutral. I dont imagine you hurt anything unless you run the engine at high rpms or got it too hot running without oil for too long. All you can do is add oil and hope for the best. GL
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
Add atf until it reaches just above the full mark then start it set the ebrake and shift into neutral then check it again running in neutral. You dont want to overfill and as the tranny warms up the fluid will expand so keep it just below full for a bit then take it for a road trip. after about half hour of running it check that the level is full once again running in neutral. I dont imagine you hurt anything unless you run the engine at high rpms or got it too hot running without oil for too long. All you can do is add oil and hope for the best. GL
Yep what he said^^^^ and lets hope for the best.

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
RatDog8o8
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Ranger Custom
I use this vehicle for: Vehicular things
RatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond reputeRatDog8o8 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RatDog8o8 Send a message via Yahoo to RatDog8o8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
1999 Ford Ranger XLT, V6 3.0L Automatic - I performed a transmission fluid change today and when starting vehicle to back off ramps the truck would not shift into reverse or any other gear. What could I have done wrong when removing pan and old filter, then replacing with new filter and bolting pan back on? I have not put any fluid in yet. I reset PCM by removing negative post connector for 20 minutes on battery, nothing. Please help! Thanks, Jennier
That's what you "did wrong"....the statement in red.

The fluid in an auto trans is what makes the parts inside do what they do. It's called "hydraulic pressure".
Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
jhammel85
On here ignoring work

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver / Off Road from time to time
jhammel85 has a spectacular aura aboutjhammel85 has a spectacular aura aboutjhammel85 has a spectacular aura about

Why would you move it without fluid?

Fill it up and hope for the best...I really hope that you didn't burn it up.

MY BUILD THREAD
jhammel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

I've backed mine off of ramps after draining the fluid from my stickshift just to get it in a better position for refilling it. Maybe that's what the OP was trying to do? (just giving the benefit of the doubt here)
As has been said, that doesn't work so well with an automatic.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
kryptonitecb

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, trail ready
kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

Manuals are a completely different animal. Still you shouldn't run either without fluid ever ever ever ever!

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic
kryptonitecb is offline   Reply With Quote