Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
tony314
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: fun and work
tony314 has a spectacular aura abouttony314 has a spectacular aura abouttony314 has a spectacular aura about
Default A/C recharge question

My A/C system is empty ( has top remove compressor to change PS pump ) and I am wanting to recharge the system. Can I use the canned Freon to fully recharge an empty system and if so, how many cans for a 98 4.0 Ranger will it take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RangerXLT View Post

You know have a testosterone spewing blatantly heterosexual Ford tailgate net!

AJ

Ford. it cures gayness.
tony314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

There should be a sticker on the radiator support that has the amount of refrigerant required. You need to have the system evacuated and get all the air and moisture out before you recharge it though.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
killj0y
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Standard Cab
I use this vehicle for: DD and light duty
killj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbass94 View Post
There should be a sticker on the radiator support that has the amount of refrigerant required. You need to have the system evacuated and get all the air and moisture out before you recharge it though.
Yea and use proper gauges so you can monitor the high side too did you replace the compressor? If so make sure there is oil in the system.
*Snorkel Mod
*4" Rough Country Lift
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
custom '90 ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: daily driver to school and work
custom '90 ranger is on a distinguished road

If the A/C line have been disconnected from the compressor then a vacuum will have to be pulled on the system.

and to reiterate what was said before if you replaced the compressor, then compressor oil will have to be added to the system.

after you pull the vacuum on the system you are ready to add the freon but i DO NOT recomend putting the freon in yourself without the proper R134-a gauges so you can monitor the high and low sides of the system.

This is almost something that needs to be left to a professional (not saying that you cant do it because i do not know your skill level or experience) being a mechanic i have seen to many people try to do things like this themselves and end up hurting themselves by over pressurizing the system and having a line blow up in their face.

and on another side note be sure to only put the recommended amount of freon in because if there is just slightly to much freon then it will have a reverse effect and it will actually not cool .

Lucas
WTB LIFT PARTS
custom '90 ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Pressure test it with nitrogen first take it up to around 200 lbs and hold it for at least 45 mins you want zero loss in pressure. You can just soap test it at a lower pressure but the best is at operating pressure on the high side. You cannot charge it properly using pressures but you can get close estimating the charge by weight. While still in a deep vacuum after you added the oil add refrigerant on the low side with the engine running and A/C set to high when the low pressure limit switch closes the compressor will start. Keep adding refrigerant until you add close to what is on the sticker factory charge by weight. Let it run for about 20 minutes you want around 20 degrees between the cab temperature going into the blower and the temperature coming out the closest duct to the coil inside the plenum. pressure test, add oil, vac down ,add refrigerant. In that order.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
killj0y
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Standard Cab
I use this vehicle for: DD and light duty
killj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura about

Buy some gauges they run about 50 to 100 for some ok ones to use at home and calibrate them first! Plus you know learn to read them too...
*Snorkel Mod
*4" Rough Country Lift
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
aspevacek
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 97
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: wife drives it to work
aspevacek will become famous soon enough

I do not think you need to put an ac system under pressure. It is harder to hold a vacum then it is to hold pressure. Pulling the system as close as you can to absolute vacum based on how far off sea level you are and then observe the guages over a 30 minute time preiod to watch for the needle to creep or loose pressure. The thing with holding a vacum on the system is, if there is a leak all the vacum will be gone very fast unless it is in a blocked off section of the system. In which case you have a bigger problem then trying to pull a vacum on the system.
aspevacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

If it dont hold pressure there is no use in adding refrigerant unless you like throwing money away.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
press 1 for english

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab Blue
I use this vehicle for: Pleasure...drive to work
press 1 for english will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspevacek View Post
I do not think you need to put an ac system under pressure. It is harder to hold a vacum then it is to hold pressure. Pulling the system as close as you can to absolute vacum based on how far off sea level you are and then observe the guages over a 30 minute time preiod to watch for the needle to creep or loose pressure. The thing with holding a vacum on the system is, if there is a leak all the vacum will be gone very fast unless it is in a blocked off section of the system. In which case you have a bigger problem then trying to pull a vacum on the system.

Why not just put half a pound of 134A into the system and check for leaks with a leak detector? Do it right or find someone who can.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
aspevacek
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 97
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: wife drives it to work
aspevacek will become famous soon enough

With a leak in the system introducing Freon to the system will also allow it to escape into the air. If the system had a leak a leak detector can still pick up traces of the freon with out a leak present. Pulling th evacum should not cost you anything in terms of wasted freon. So I will still stand by the way I have done it for a long time in pulling the system under a solid vacum and letting it set for 30 minutes. No movement of the needle and the system is air tight. Like I said before it is harder to hold vacum then it is to hold pressure.
aspevacek is offline   Reply With Quote