Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 4.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
ilove2bike

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000
ilove2bike is on a distinguished road
Default 94 Mazda B4000 starting problems

I just got a 94 Mazda B4000 Manual 4x4. The truck was owned by someone who wasn't driving it regularly for about 6 months. It started with no issue when i first got the truck but not too long after I've started having issues. actually right after I bought my first tank of gas after burning through what was in the tank. Tired some fuel injector cleaner but it made no difference. Not sure if the fresh gas is related though. It seems to start more easily when it's cooler out but if its real hot I will need to crank it for a good 10-15 seconds before it fires and then it slowly comes up to idle. I've noticed if i crank it over for a few seconds then turn the key back to off and try again it will fire up with no issue. I've also noticed that it seems to be a little bogged down when just getting rolling in first until i get to maybe 1500 to 2000 RPM. Also if its real hot out it sometimes smells like it's running a bit rich. I can pick up a faint odor of fuel.
ilove2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Sounds like a fuel problem, eh?

Try turning the key to Run (do not crank the starter, but the dash lights come on and test), wait 3 seconds while the fuel pump "primes" and shuts off.
Turn the key back to Off and repeat back to Run, wait, THEN Crank it over.

If that clears up the problem, continue to do that until you decide to replace the fuel pump, or forever. Sometimes the fuel filter will seep, causing the same symptom, so go ahead and try a new filter (cheap enough), but my guess is that the check valve in the fuel pump has gone bad, letting fuel pressure bleed down.

This is very common. It is also a good idea to "prime" any fuel injected vehicle before cranking the starter. Saves wear and tear on the starter and battery.

I would replace the spark plugs too. That'll give you an idea how the engine is doing, if you "read" the old spark plugs. Put Motorcraft double Platinums in it!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
ilove2bike

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000
ilove2bike is on a distinguished road

seems to be a bit better but not perfect. I think ill replace the pump and filter and see what happens.
ilove2bike is offline   Reply With Quote