Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Audio & Video

Audio & Video Stereos, video players, game systems and custom speaker/sub enclosures.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
mcstylis

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: Silverado
mcstylis is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Radio doesn't work anymore

Hi everyone.. I need some advice.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado and the stock radio stopped working after having my brakes worked on. however there is power to the stereo, just no power in the radio. I'm wondering if there is a fuse inside the radio. I know about the cabin fuse and that is fine. is this a common problem? is there a separate amp?

what are some steps i can do to fix this? I want to keep the stock radio and not install an after market stereo.

Sammy
mcstylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
kcm1582

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: fun
kcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kcm1582

So you have 12v at the plug in the back of the radio but it wont turn on?

I don't have access to Chevys wiring diagrams, but if there is power to all the wires that need it and a good ground, then chances are you have a bad radio. Unfortunately new factory radios are mostly non field serviceable and have to be sent out to be rebuilt/replaced.

A replacement factory radio is easily a few hundred dollars and that can buy you a much nicer aftermarket radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
Some times it is fun to be surrounded by idiots, It makes you seem smarter than you are, Other times it is just plain annoying!
kcm1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Uh yeah, a little clarification is needed here. So it has power to the stereo.... but not the radio? So are you saying it will play a tape/CD, but the radio doesn't function? That's what I'm reading, so maybe it's an antenna issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
mcstylis

Sorry I just didn't want to use the word radio so many times. the dashboard stereo does not work since bringing it to the shop. no radio cd or anything else. Im not sure if they shorted something out. they claim we cant prove they did it. anyways. there is power leading up to the unit and then nothing.

Last edited by mcstylis; 08-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
kcm1582

Vehicle Year: 2005
I use this vehicle for: fun
kcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kcm1582

You said you had your brakes done, you mean pads and rotors? If so then I doubt they would have gone anywhere near your radio or its wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
Some times it is fun to be surrounded by idiots, It makes you seem smarter than you are, Other times it is just plain annoying!
kcm1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, when I had my Cadillac, I had the radio just up and die one day, and coincidentally it told me something was wrong with the ABS and Traction Control at the same time (on board diagnostic display). Turned out that they were on the same fuse. And then what was really neat, was the damn thing had a security system on it that I had to enter a code on to make the stereo functional again.

This particular fuse was in the trunk IIRC. Check around and see if you can locate another fuse somewhere.

Just wanted to ask.... how come you chose a Ranger/Ford enthusiast forum to ask a GM question? Not that we are upset, just curious......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
mcstylis

kcm1582: Yes.. I agree.. just letting you know why truck was there

Last edited by mcstylis; 08-13-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
mcstylis

shane96ranger: "Just wanted to ask.... how come you chose a Ranger/Ford enthusiast forum to ask a GM question? Not that we are upset, just curious...... "

I Googled the question and this Forum came up...

Also shane96ranger: The same issue with battery isn't a problem with the 2004 needing a code..Previous years yes but not 2004. Thank you for mentioning that
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
AmericanPride

Vehicle Year: 1999
AmericanPride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm1582 View Post
You said you had your brakes done, you mean pads and rotors? If so then I doubt they would have gone anywhere near your radio or its wiring.
HAHAHA! Only in a POS chevy! I'm not going to get into this really. But, let's just say GM in all its infinite wisdom decided to run the ABS through the radio. So...Yes, doing a brake job can ruin a chevy radio.

Change to an aftermarket deck and you're looking at $120-$150 just for a harness that keeps your brakes intact!

Sincerely, your friendly MECP certified installer whom hates everything GM
AmericanPride is offline   Reply With Quote